FM6 Colour Sequence

Cornishpastythighs

Hi, does anyone have an ink colour sequence that they have run successfully with FM6 printing. We will run 4 process colours with Orange and Green
Many thanks

Hi, does anyone have an ink colour sequence that they have run successfully with FM6 printing. We will run 4 process colours with Orange and Green
Many thanks

AFAIK MY Cartons the developer of FMsix has not published a specification for ink sequence.
What I've seen in the field is that the OG (and B) are printed before the KCMY inks. This is to maximise wet trap of the extra colors. So OGKCMY or GOKCMY.
Are you actually using FMsix?

We are running our first trial next week sometime. Any direction for print sequence for folding carton work on recycled stock would be very helpful

We are running our first trial next week sometime. Any direction for print sequence for folding carton work on recycled stock would be very helpful

I hope you are also testing alternative solutions.

The below info/questions/thoughts might be out-dated or no longer correct (the link to download product information from their website does not work) - this was how it was presented to me by Mark Collet at MY Cartons/Nampak & Martin Alderliefste (the developer) when the product was launched.

• FMsix charges customers based on a usage licensing model - i.e. the more you use it the more you pay.

• The ink sequence on their website uses a KCMYOB sequence (B not G is interesting - in my experience B or V is more useful than G in simulating spot colors (and other reasons) That was also acknowledged when the system was introduced so you may want to reconsider using Green with Orange.
• The TVI curves are proprietary and patented and you are not allowed to develop your own.
• It requires the use of FM screening (I think most printed work should be done using FM - but being a requirement for this kind of solution may be problematic)
• The OGB ink hues are patented - this may be an issue if you want to use a brand color in place of one of FMsix's
• FMsix only applies for line colors not images, so, if you've got those extra inks on press and want to use them to enhance images you'll need another product to do that.

Thanks Gordo. I was not privy to all the work that went on behind the scenes with this job I just know we are taking over from a supplier who is running FM6 printed cartons for this customer so we have to follow suit. Files have been supplied and we will have to run Orange and Green. We have many suggestions for print sequence but we think the one that you have indicated KCMYOG (using Green) is what we will try for our press characterization.
Many thanks

Thanks Gordo. I was not privy to all the work that went on behind the scenes with this job I just know we are taking over from a supplier who is running FM6 printed cartons for this customer so we have to follow suit. Files have been supplied and we will have to run Orange and Green. We have many suggestions for print sequence but we think the one that you have indicated KCMYOG (using Green) is what we will try for our press characterization.
Many thanks

A few thoughts if you haven't done this sort of work in the past...

If you're not using FM screening but the shop you're taking the job over from is using FM then the hues that you generate on press will be different (in single and two color builds) from theirs.

If you haven't used extended process colors - i.e. spot color inks incorporated with process - then I strongly advise that you make sure that you ink vendor understands how you will be using those two inks. I.e. they will be halftone screened and wet trapped with process inks otherwise you may encounter big problems on press.

How is this different from Hexachrome?

Well Hexachrome hasn't been a product for at least 15 years. It's dead.
Hexachrome was CMYK+Orange+Green - FMsix is CMYK+Orange and/or Green or Blue
Hexachrome was halftone screening agnostic - FMsix uses FM screening not AM

So with the exception of the blue option, the inks are almost identical? I understand the screening is different, but I was referring more to the inks used.

Hexachrome used fluorescent components in its Orange and Green and did not use standard process CMY hues. FMsix uses standard CMY inks and non-fluorescent O, G, and B inks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back