Font Conversion

Fontographer is now owned by FontLab:

Fontographer - Fontlab font software for the graphic designer. Create fonts for your own use with this versatile font editor.

Though you'd likely want to get their TransType instead:

Convert any font with TransType universal font converter

Alternately, if you're comfortable installing X11.app you could use FontForge:

FontForge

But there is of course the issue of whether or no the conversion results in a proper encoding of the font as well as the legal issue of whether or no the font license allows for such a conversion.

Best thing to do is to just go ahead and properly purchase the font --- it's actually cheaper than any of the commercial converters and faster than installing FontForge:

ITC Korinna Regular Font - Fonts.com

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/F/KORI/F_KORI-10005000.html

William

Fontographer 4.7 still works on OSX

Fontographer 4.7 still works on OSX

I am able to convert PC fonts like you discribed with Fontographer 4.7. and it works fine on the macintosh.
I have used Fontographer for years in the Mac OS 9 and earlier.

Link provided to a download page for 4.7.3 for OS X.

Last edited:
For more advanced Font features. You can use Fontlab Studio, This allows you to convert fonts like TransType but also allows you to edit fonts like Fontographer.

Yes

Yes

Actually Bill there is a program called Fontographer and older program by Altsys, it was for the Mac and the PC.

I always had it for the Mac since I was a Mac font nut at the time in the early days.

Awesome program and I still have it on my old mac G4, use it today very rarely.

I do think there are some other programs out there for the Mac that will convert pfb fonts which are postscript fonts.

You might search tucows.com for font convertions programs for the Mac. Some are shareware also.

Also fontlab.com for the current Fontographer for the Mac.

Another vote for FontForge. It converts any format/platform to any other format/platform, and it's completely free. I've used it in my shop many times with excellent results.

FontForge

It runs in the X11 environment on the Mac, and may look a little daunting at first (it is truly a Swiss Army knife of font manipulation, lots of stuff in there), but it's very easy to simply convert, say, a PC Postscript font to a Mac TrueType, or any other which way.

Drewstre

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back