Fountain solution

Bojan_Libra

Hello, I need to write something for exam about FOUNTAIN SOLUTION for offset printing, is any links to read? I am interesting for eco fountain solution, with small amount of alcohol (or with out alcohol), I need urgent !

Tnx very much!

Eco and fountain solutions are kind of an oxy moron. The stuff is nasty. Here is a link and may be of some help
http://www.fujihuntusa.com/pdfs/graphic/data_sheets/anchorpds/2364w.pdf

Fountain solutions do not come with alcohol. Alcohol or alcohol substitutes are added to solutions in order to pass water through a metering system. Alcohol is typically used to reduce the size of the water bead so it can be moved through roller pressure.

A fountain solution depending on the type of plate has a different type of build . For metal plates you need anacid with a PH buffer, Gum for lubrication and desensitisers to keep non image areas open and free of toning and ink.

Plastic or poly plates tend to have different build where PH is not as big of a factor but the lubrication is typically done through glycerin.

Not all presses require the use of Alcohol or Alcohol substitutes but almost all of the larger presses do require one or the other.

Fountain solution concentrations are typically about 3 to 4 oz of concentrate to 1 gallon of water.

I know there are people that know a lot more about this stuff then me but hopefully this will give you a start.

While it is true that some fountain solutions may be 'nasty stuff' there is no reason for this to be true. The most dangerous ingredient in many fountain solutions is the preservative added to prevent fungus and bacteria organisms from eating the other ingredients. The glycol ether solvents commonly used as alcohol replacements are the same ones used in kitchen and window cleaners.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back