Fsc/sfi .. Leed ..

tiffanymarie

I'm trying to do a market research on different certifications and how they would help a printing company.

If anyone could reply with their company experiences and if getting certified helped their company or not I would really appreciate it!

Hi Tiffany,
We went through the process to become FSC and SFI certified. Just received the notification that our annual audit is coming in July. Can't believe it has been almost a year...and no certified jobs have been run in our shop.

It really depends on your customer base. Do you have customers asking for a certification? Any particular certification? If the answer is no, I would save the money.

Just my $.02

Greg

Thank you. I'm not sure about our customer base yet, I've only been with this company for two weeks.

Just curious as to why your company got both FSC and SFI certified?

Could you possibly summarize the steps that your company took to obtain these certifications?

Thank you. I'm not sure about our customer base yet, I've only been with this company for two weeks.

Just curious as to why your company got both FSC and SFI certified?

Could you possibly summarize the steps that your company took to obtain these certifications?

Hi Tiffany,

At the time we decided to get certified we had potential sales opportunities in a larger market. We were advised that we would need to have at least the FSC certification to be eligible to bid the work. The organization we contracted with to perform our audit and certify us stated that adding the SFI certification could be done for minimal additional fees. When the FSC audit is completed, 80% of it also applies to the SFI audit. That is the reason we did both. There is a 3rd, PEFC, that we opted not to certify in although it also could have been done for a minimal fee. We didn't feel there was a pressing requirement for that certification.

The steps you will need to follow are fairly straight forward, if you have a mentor to lead you. It comes down to a documentation system. Reading the standards themselves is quite dry and very confusing. They seem to be written for all vendors in the supply chain. Pulling out the parts that pertain to you and understanding your role can be difficult at times.

You will be trying to achieve a "Chain of Custody" certification. This means you are purchasing and tracking a certified material in the prescribed manner. You will need to submit art and get permission to use a logo (FSC and SFI cannot be used together), tracking the material purchased, verifying the correct material was received and used on the correct job, and documenting all of these steps for future audits. All of these records must be maintained for a period of 5 years.

A little bit about FSC and SFi. This is just my perspective. Others on here may have opinions and I encourage them to chime in. I, by no means, have all the answers. These may be oversimplified but it is the best way I can explain what may be a confusing issue.

I feel these organizations are doing a very good thing for our environment and the indigenous regions that they operate in. FSC is more of an International organization whereas SFI is related to the North American continent. FSC has done a better job of promoting themselves, therefore I hear more about FSC requirements than SFI.

Both organizations certify forest land as well as any industry that utilizes products made from wood. Paper mills, Furniture makers, cabinet makers, home builders (LEED) all can be certified to the standard.

The paper, once certified, has done its part to show that the pulp came from well managed forests. The environment where the logging took place was managed sensibly, the indigenous people where treated fairly etc. Our Chain of Custody certification allows us to pass along the logo to the end user so that they may promote their particular green initiatives. The rub for most printers is that we are not changing the formulation of the paper being used. Either the paper is certified or it isn't. So why do we pay for the priviledge? There may be some out there that tell a customer they are getting grade A paper but in reality substitute grade C and pocket the profits, but I don't think there are many. Once someone gets that kind of reputation business is over.

Some printers find it necessary to have the certification and are growing from it. Many, like us, have spent the money to become certified but don't have the customer base asking for the certification. Some pundits will argue that we should be selling it. Maybe so, but in these economic times and our makeup of customers, it isn't feasible.

You will need to do some research and perform an indepth look at you customer base. I feel they drive the car. If the need isn't there, you may be better off finding other ways to grow your business.

I have written way more than I intended so I look to others for their expert advice.

Greg

Good Morning Coolio

Are you able to shed some light on the documentation required, we are a web offest and sheetfed plant and we are embarking on the FCS certification process, the documentation/training provided was ambigious as to the depth of detail required in the documentation.

Are you able to provide an example ( without compromising your confidentiality)

thank you
regards
Maas

Maas,

It comes down to SOP's for your entire shop.
The goal is to select the proper label to be used for the stock that is specified for the job.
You need to determine the proper label, purchase and receive the proper stock, use the proper stock and ship the job using the proper stock. No mixing of certified and un-certified paper is allowed.

Sounds like what we printers do now doesn't it?

You need the SOP in place to verify what you did. We came up with a process checklist that lists all of the steps to be followed. It is generated at the estimate stage and follows along in the job jacket. Everyone that touches the job initials that they did their portion according to the SOP.

- Estimator determines the correct label to use based on paper specified.
- Prepress adds the proper logo to artwork and sends in for approval.
- Receiving verifys the paper received is the correct paper and shipper documents note the FSC
certification of that stock.
- Receiving applies a label to that stock denoting it is FSC certified.
- Pressman and feeder both verify they have loaded the proper stock into the press. (Two person verification is not needed but was our idea as this is, in my mind, the only place where non-certified paper could be mixed into the job.)
- Our shipping documents have the proper FSC/SFi certification listed.
- Our invoice states the proper FSC/SFI certification.

All internal documents are color coded (Green paper for FSC and Yellow paper for SFI). We can see at a glance which jobs are which as they travel through the plant. Our MIS system utilizes user defined fields that we have printing on our documents. When blank, nothing prints but when the estimator puts "FSC Mixed Sources" in a field, that prints on all documents. We can also search on this field and run reports. During the audit we need to report certified material in and out by weight.

I don't think I went into great detail here but this should give you the basics. Feel free to contact me offline and I will give as much advice as I can. There are a few other documents that I will share with you.

Greg

The paper, once certified, has done its part to show that the pulp came from well managed forests. The environment where the logging took place was managed sensibly, the indigenous people where treated fairly etc. Our Chain of Custody certification allows us to pass along the logo to the end user so that they may promote their particular green initiatives. The rub for most printers is that we are not changing the formulation of the paper being used. Either the paper is certified or it isn't. So why do we pay for the priviledge?

Greg

Well said, and correct. Once the paper is "certified" who cares?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back