Future of printing industry ?

Looked up 3D printing on YouTube and thought I would share this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8aghzpO_UZE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Certainly packaging printing has the most miles left however I don't think we are too many years away from digital press's being on manufacturing sites as part of the production line.

What do you think will happen with offset printing?
Packaging is the last refuge?
Much of the work offset are disappearing with the Internet, information, newspapers, and the printing lenght are getting shorter
Regarding digital printing i don´t see a good future for tonner based machines, for me inkjet might be the future .
What is your opinion?

All the Best

Padrao

I think printing will always be here, it is that we are going through an overcapacity because of the diverseness of technology that has brought it to our industry. We are at the cusp of a new era with high speed ink jet and revolutionary image transfer technology such as Nano Print develops. The future of printing plant is going to look more like on demand print. Customer will expect even quicker turn around and just in time print, to meet these demands printers are going to have to invest heavily in more in line automation from the time an order is submitted to finished product. You will see offset adapt with new presses coming out with integrated inkjet technology and inline industrial quality finishing modules that will be easily changed over and inserted or removed inline as needed. These will be hybrids that can easily handle both short and long run jobs won’t be the massive iron that you are familiar with today.

Printing industry needs a lot of improvement and needs to pace up with the fast technology advancements. Me(Power2Sme) as a part of the industry, feels industry is facing lump.

We pulled the plug on offset almost a year ago. For Aiea Copy Center, move has been positive. Our digital machines easily handled the volume with quicker turnarounds. It's great to send the order from the computer to one of our 9 digital printers and have the machine run while we move to the next job. The big move was moving NCR's to the copy machine. The only thing left was envelope printing. We jobbed the orders out for a year but have just installed a PSI Envelope Printer to bring the envelope orders back in-house (you can see a short video of the envelope printer on Aiea Copy's YouTube channel). . The removal of the offset equipment freed space to expand wide format printing capacity. For our situation, offset is dead.

Certainly packaging printing has the most miles left however I don't think we are too many years away from digital press's being on manufacturing sites as part of the production line.

I work in the packaging sector right now, and most of what we print is UV varnished, foiled and embossed, diecut, window patched, then glued, I would love to know how all this is going to be tagged on the front of a production line??

There is a lot of potential in this market, many companies in several different industries are adopting 3D printing features as part of their business. Some might say that they are "hopping on" just for the sake of novelty, but I think as long as they start expanding through whatever industry they belong to and making sure that these features will actually serve a purpose, they will gain momentum in terms of their recognition.

See what eBay's done a few months ago...
eBay app
screenshots

Offset printing will have it's challenges with these new pie in the sky printing process applications.

But in the end, if you are able to define end, offset will come out on top with all feet running.

Why?

It is simply the highest quality printing process, impression for impression versus anything that has come before or anything that ATTEMPTS to come after.

May take a cyber meltdown for these words to prove true, but the real cream will again rise to the top.

QUALITY will become a priority again to we human beings, it just has to become thoroughly realized again.

D Ink Man

we can never neglect the importance of offset printing when we talk about the quality printed products and no doubt the digital printing is also at the peak nowadays. There are certain products like magazines, folders, brochures, they come best with offset machines and many don't compromises on quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lot of potential in this market, many companies in several different industries are adopting 3D printing features as part of their business. Some might say that they are "hopping on" just for the sake of novelty, but I think as long as they start expanding through whatever industry they belong to and making sure that these features will actually serve a purpose, they will gain momentum in terms of their recognition.

eBay app
screenshots

As wonderful as that seems, I can't even search for the app. So disappointing. No results.

eBay app
screenshots

Also, this article came out in July 2013....little more than a few months ago.

I would also the future will be 3D printing and still we had speedmaster 72 machine for printing purpose. There are some factors that may could loss in the industry too as epaper is ready to reach for free in seconds while normal paper require time.

Question begs to be asked; is 3D printing truly 'PRINTING' within the realistic definition of the word and implementation of it through the history of the word and world?

Or is 3D a contemporary process of reproduction that should inherit another word for description unique to itself from what is thought of as printing?

Letterpress, offset, gravure, flexography, and now digital are true printing processes which involve laying inkstuffs on papyrus.

My feelings are the latter, that 3D should have it's own name, and printing should not be that.

Any thoughts?

D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back