G5 mac ox 10.5.6 - NOT LIKING PITSTOP - WHY?????

Bansheei

Hi there guys,

I'm so sorry in advance, I'm very distressed!

Firstly! Ive been running Acrobat 7 and Pitstop 7.22 on a happy G4 for 3years now.

My boss has upgraded me to a second hand G5 - & its got lots a guts;

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac11,2

Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

10.5.6 mac os X,
Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5
6 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 1.15 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1

yadda yadda yadda!

Anyway, I load my Acrobat 7 pro and pitstop 7.22 and its soooooooooo slow! I cant work at all, its that slow.

SO, I thort it needed an upgrade, so i've upgraded to Acrobat 9 - Pitstop 9
AND GUESS WHAT!!!!

its slower again and CRASHES all the time!!!!

Whats going on??? My bosses wants my head on a stick now. :(

What shall i do guys???? :confused:

***I did a test before installing pistop, I opened pdfs in Acrobat without pitstop installed and they were opening up fast and furious, just like i dreamed.

But then when I load pistop, its all becomes a bad nightmare....

Please, Help, if you can...

Hi bansheei!
I think your problem is with pitstop 7.22 maybe its not compact with acrobat 9.0,so try 8.0
a have no problem in my pc it runs perfectly,but when i tried 9.0 version its slowed my pc to death
so i think you should read system requirements of softwares you install
Cheers
and greetings to your bosses

I believe he said he has upgraded to Acrobat 9 AND Pitstop 9. I think the problem is the PPC G5 with this setup. Running the latest version of this combo on a PPC will work but not well. The latest software has been optimized for the Intel processor and I don't think you will see any improvement with Acrobat 9 and Pitstop 9 on a PPC machine.

Back to your original setup of Acrobat 7 and Pitstop 7.2...I'd do the update mentioned for Pitstop 7.52 and make sure Acrobat 7 is up to date. I still have a couple of machines running this setup and it runs fine. Actually the Mac is slower and has less memory than the one you listed.

I don't know what kind of maintenance you do, but first thing I'd do is run disk utilities repair permissions.
Then dump the font cache and restart. I have basically the same Mac G5 dual 2.5 gig with 6.5 gigs of Ram and Acrobat 7 and Pit Stop run fine. I am running OS 10.4.11 tho that may be the difference. Leopard runs better on intel macs then PPC ones, from what I've seen I tried Leopard, and ended up going back to Tiger. Joe are you running Leopard on your PPC macs?

No, the PPC Macs are all running Tiger. As you stated, Leopard runs better on Intel Macs. The PPC will run Leopard but not as well as it runs Tiger. Oh, I now see the OP is running Leopard. I did have a G5 running Leopard at one time with Acrobat 7 and Pitstop 7. Ran better on it than it sounds like it is for the OP but it wasn't anything great.

Thanks guys.

Q: for Almaink

How do I run a disk utilities repair permissions & How do I dump the font cache?

Sorry, for my ignorance... I've never had to do any of this... :confused:

PitStop

PitStop

Hi all,

Thank you all for your valuable feedback!

We have understood your comments loud and clear. We are doing a huge amount of extra timing tests on the different combination that were discussed. Our Development department is looking for a solution and we are working hard to optimize the process.

I have no clear cut answer yet, but I will come back to this forum the moment I do.
Also feel free to report this type of issues to [email protected]. We listen very carefully to your comments and are always looking for ways to improve.

Kind regards,
Elli
---
Elli Cloots
Director of Enfocus Services
Enfocus, an EskoArtwork company

Tel. +32 9 216 90 09 - Fax +32 9 216 98 54
Kortrijksesteenweg 1095 - 9051 Gent - Belgium
[email protected] - www.enfocus.com

Hi all,

Thank you all for your valuable feedback!

We have understood your comments loud and clear. We are doing a huge amount of extra timing tests on the different combination that were discussed. Our Development department is looking for a solution and we are working hard to optimize the process.

I have no clear cut answer yet, but I will come back to this forum the moment I do.
Also feel free to report this type of issues to [email protected]. We listen very carefully to your comments and are always looking for ways to improve.

Kind regards,
Elli
---
Elli Cloots
Director of Enfocus Services
Enfocus, an EskoArtwork company

Tel. +32 9 216 90 09 - Fax +32 9 216 98 54
Kortrijksesteenweg 1095 - 9051 Gent - Belgium
[email protected] - www.enfocus.com
Elli,

Just to be sure we have understood you correctly: You are stating that Enfocus develops and releases new versions of it's software without first testing it in various combinations of hardware, operating systems and Acrobat versions recently available in the prepress marketplace. And that it is only after reports from users in the field, that potential problems are investigated.

Is that correct??? That's a fine state of affairs.

Al Ferrari
Sequoyah Graphics

Hi Al Ferrari,

No that is not what I wanted to say. My message is that we listen to our user base carefully, we find it important to know what is going on in the world and we respond to this. I would hope this is a positive message.

We do spend a lot of time testing our software thoroughly. Our QA department consist out very talented people who really care about the quality of our software. But as with any software application, there could always be something that is only spotted afterwards, which is again why we try to respond fast.

In stead of telling half facts right now, we want to get all the facts. The "extra" part has to do with PitStop 7 which is used as a reference point in this track.

Kind regards,
Elli

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back