G7 Usage

Great concept. Highly impractical. If it looks good...if it looks right...if it matches proof or sample...I don't care what numbers you have, run it! We don't have time for nonsense.

I think G7 became a "must have" buzz word...not without merit, but to me it became a smoke and mirrors, money making scam. Customers hear it and are sold. Now you have to comply. Invest.

The basic concepts are great to incorporate, but many factors are out of the printers control. I'm in packaging and we have one customer that requires compliance. We get stock of all different hues and brightness. That alone negates any target. You can measure values relative to the stock, but that's not how the human eye works.

Strictly following is probably great for some and required as well, but it all has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Okay, so I've been extremely busy and just now had tome to sit down and respond, but a response was needed.

Does not sound too convincing to me. It sounds a bit like when press operators say how important they are to the process. Some truth to it but science and technology has been proving that to be a flawed view as the skill and art have been designed out of the process.

Now I have to admit, I got a chuckle out of this. Fact is the foundations of my knowledge about color were laid by a pressman named Lewis LeMaster back when I was naught but a callow youth. And what Lewis could make a printing press do was nothing short of amazing. For awhile, I was privileged to be a printing salesman selling Lewis's work, and I had a true advantage over every other salesman out there selling high-end design-quality printing in Dallas. That advantage was Lewis.

Now, true, no one does printing like that anymore. Printing is all about "standards" now and lithography has been dumbed down to the point that it can be done pretty much without human intervention.

It's become a commodity. And printers, having made it so, now complain that their clients want commodity pricing.

Unintended consequences.

The same trend will happen with colour management. How fast? Probably not so fast but eventually.

Oh, it has to some extent. Otherwise you wouldn't have made the comment you did. But there is so much in large format that can't be standardized, that it's much harder to do, and there are plenty of people out there who are not interested in producing commodities that I'm certain it won't ever go the way of litho.

And the fact remains, getting every bit of capability out of a device is an art, and to every extent you automate the process, the more you take the art out. Can you get a passable result? Well, if you define mediocre as a "standard" and go sell that standard as acceptable... Yeah, I guess you can.

But can you get the best possible result? No.

It is possible that you don't want that to happen but I suspect it will trend that way anyhow.

The more my client's competitors become mediocre, the better they like it.

Mike

I am a certified g7 expert.
I wouldn't agree or disagree anyone's thought about the G7 method
But I do use G7 method on inkjet printers, the reason is it is a quite good method to get conformance across multiple printers (same brand same model), so that all i need is to make 1 icc profile for all of the machines at the end of the calibration process.
If there's any other method, I would love to know.

aaron

Aaron,

Before responding, just to make sure I'm following you: You've got several machines of the same model and type, and you then do media profiling up to but not including the ICC stage, using G7 as your calibration on each machine, then go back and do one icc from one of the machines, and then apply it to all of them?

Mike

Aaron,

Before responding, just to make sure I'm following you: You've got several machines of the same model and type, and you then do media profiling up to but not including the ICC stage, using G7 as your calibration on each machine, then go back and do one icc from one of the machines, and then apply it to all of them?

Mike

Yes correct

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back