GMG - ColorProof / DotProof

JDK_Steve

Hi all,

I’m researching RIP software, and have read a lot of positive things about GMG on this forum.

I notice that all of GMG’s “SWOP-certification”-talk revolves around their ColorProof software. I’m looking for halftone-dot proofs, and like the sounds of their DotProof software.

Can anyone tell me if ColorProof can print halftone dots? Can DotProof prints be SWOP-certified?

Additional recommendations of SWOP-proofing software would also be appreciated. (Looks like I’ll be purchasing either an HP Z6100 or an Epson 11880 (possibly a 40”-range 9000 series.)) My head is spinning from all the research! Opinions from pro users are best by far! Whip ‘em at me!!!

Thanks!

Yes, gmg dotproof can be SWOP 3, 5 or GRACoL certified. I'll do it all the time.

Well, colorproof cannot print dotproofs (halftone proofs) only contone proofs.

To print a dotproof you will need "dotproof option" for colorproof, which changes the software name to "gmg dotproof" instead of gmg colorproof.

Now, dotproof CAN print dotproofs (halftone screened proofs) AND colorproofs (contone proofs). GMG is the best of the best. Find a dealer and ask for a demo. You can also send images to gmg website, they will make proofs for you.

Check this link:
Welcome

I am using gmg with Hp Z2100 and many Epsons 98x0 series.

Dot Proofing Solutions

Dot Proofing Solutions

EFI Colorproof XF has a true dot-for-dot option (called 1-bit TIFF) that uses the actual screened TIFFs that the platesetter uses, so you can use these proofs to check chokes and spreads, and they are color-managed as well. It works extremely well and is built on top of the extremely robust Colorproof RIP, with its client-server architecture, multi-threading genuine Adobe CPSI, wizard-based ink limiting and linearization, and many other cutting-edge features. It is not a cheap solution, but more reasonably priced than GMG.

Mike Strickler
Certified EFI Colorproof XF Installer and Trainer
MSP Graphic Services: Prepress and Color Management

GMG ColorProof is the base software which can drive up to 3 printers (1 is included, up to 2 more can be licensed as required). DotProof is 1 add-on module (actually a license mode, so there is no additional software to install) which immediately adds 1bit capability for all connected printers.

As stargate mentioned it's very versatile as it can take 1bit files from any leading CTP system (as long as that allows exporting the screened files) and you can output those files then with the original dot structure - or you can even descreen them. If you do not have your own CTP then DotProof also enables you to create from your PS or PDF jobs your own 1bit files with screenings from anywhere between 40 - 200lpi, so perfect for agency work.

The color engine of the GMG software is second to none as you can see from many reports in any forum or publication. Usually it wins all the shootouts as well, but customers are usually the better reference.

If you don't want to send 1bit files to it (in which case you'd use your own CTP-RIP), you'll be glad to know that it uses the very latest Adobe PDF engine. That's the same as Adobe's current CS3 has at its heart and the successor to the CPSI.

It is frequently used in intercontinental remote proofing scenarios due to its proven unique calibration technique which allows to match printers to within 1 DeltaE (an average of 0.6 is typical for current Epson or HP z-series models).

Features like PANTONE certified spot color libraries, paper saving collection of multiple print jobs onto one sheet and user licenses for most international control strips are no expensive extras, but included.

What's also interesting: GMG's high end color handling tools ColorServer and InkOptimizer use the same core engine, so if you want to have a look at them, then a simple phone call and a temporary license file by email can enable to test those for a few days or weeks without complicated installs

..also you need the DotProof module only once. It enables DotProof functionality immediately on all connected printers.
Also you get plenty of features automatically where you might have to pay elsewhere extra

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back