Greatest Rock Album of All Times

Re: Greatest Rock Album of All Times

adding to my list: Live catagory: Allman Brothers Band / Live at Filmore East

I love this thread and I love live albums. My 2 cents on previously mentioned albums:
Hendrix, Band of Gypsys - This is a phenomenal album, although it lacks Voo Doo Chile (I think there is a UK(?) release that contains it).
Allman Brothers, Live at the Fillmore East - as previously stated would absolutely make my list as well.

And to offer another idea or two:
Woodstock (the original) - although some performances were a little ragged, look what we got - Ten Years After with "Goin' Home", the set by The Who may be their best (although Live at Leeds is good, too), Hendrix, CSNY.

Stones - Get Yer Ya Yas Out - cuts 3, 4, 5 and 6 - "Stray Cat Blues", "Love In Vain", "Midnight Rambler" , "Sympathy for the Devil" show what the Stones can do when they want to. This is my favorite version of "Sympathy" and my favorite Stones album. The guitar solo on Sympathy gives me chills and the words make a statement that the Stones too rarely made.

Bongo Fury - Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart - You won't find a top 40 hit here, but you will find fantastic blues/rock from one of the most prolific musicians of our time.

Isn't there a Cream album with White Room and Crossroads? Couldn't find it, but I love those live songs.

And the envelope please.....
Gotta go with Woodstock for the musical diversity, the cultural significance and the gathering of so many icons of the rock world.

Thanks Bob- now we're talkin!
For a snapshot of the San Fransisco Bay area cira 1970 music scene and IMHO a much overlooked rock album, give a listen to Paul Kantner and Grace Slick give birth to The Jefferson Starship (formally Jefferson Airplane) on "Blows Against the Empire".
The album features musical, vocal and songwriting contributions from members of Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, CSN and Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Edited by: tapdn on Oct 27, 2007 12:32 PM

Edited by: tapdn on Oct 27, 2007 12:33 PM

tapdn,
I was a huge Jeff Airpalne fan growing up. I bought "Blows Against the Empire" the day it was released. "Have You Seen the Stars Tonight?" was my favorite cut. I listened to that album over and over and found something new all the time. Bark, Long John Silver, Volunteers. All great albums, but they ran their course creatively, except for Jorma and Jack. Formed Hot Tuna and did well. Jorma runs a guitar workshop in Ohio called "Fur Peace Ranch". Check it out on the web if you haven't kept up with his career.

"It's a strong wind that blows against the empire"

Beatles “Revolver”
Sex Pistols ”Never Mind The Bollocks”
Ramones “S/T”
Beach Boys “Pet Sounds”
Cynics “Rock And Roll”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......THATS IMPOSSIBLE!

Actually that's not to far fetched, are you in your early 60's and from the Michigan area??

I've been doing this for a long time and it feels like I'm in my 60's some days. But, most mornings I pull it together, take a shot of scotch, rub some instant coffee on my gums and get out of bed just to see what's going to happen next.

I couldn't do that, one scotch would lead to one bourbon, one beer...you get the idea.

1. new kids on the block "hangin' tough"

2. ace of base "the sign"

3. cyndie lauper "she's so unusual"

4. barry manilow "even now"

5. paula abdul "forever your girl"

everyone has skeletons in their musical closet...i refuse to be held hostage by them. i will confront them in this public forum, and no longer hide in the shadows. the ghosts in my cd collection will never hold me down. i am unafraid.

cr

actually, of the 5 i listed, i have 2, and my wife has one other. 2 of them were random shit i pulled out of my mind at that moment.

im not a proud man.

cr

i do have one that i would like to add for real:

smashing pumpkins - gish

Let us not forget: Marilyn Manson _ Antichrist Superstar

The artwork alone for the CD cover is worth adding a star or two.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back