Greys Are Yellow-ish

Potonka

Greetings,
I am printing on a SOLJET PRO II V SJ-1045EX, with a continuous ink system attached, using Onyx 10.1 rip. We are printing on paper to then transfer to Heavy Knit via dye sublimation. We actually have another earlier version of this printer(1000), both printers started printing greys high on the yellow ink, at the same time. We use the same calibration/profile for both machines. I tried re-calibrating, didn't work, so I re-profiled, that also did not work. I ran a test target with no ICC(with only G7 curves applied) and the CMY mix for the grey was WAY yellow. Does this sound like a bad batch of ink? I am going to ask the Press Manager to flush and change inks to a different batch, but won't be able to until later today. Any other suggestions/solutions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

addendum: both of the printers are setup as 4color(CMYK)

Last edited:
I'm surprised the calibration didn't sort out your problem - maybe as a stopgap you could try modifying the grey in the artwork to a black percentage which is close to the grey you need until it is recalibrated correctly?
I have had to use little tricks like that to obtain corporate greys on our digital machines, hope you get it sorted out ok.
Cheers
RoganJosh

Ya, tried to do that, but even the "only K" blacks are yellow, can't take it out by adjusting. After some trial and error, I am thinking it may the material. I am going to try and profile the soft knit and see what happens. We run with Relative Colorimetric, I am going to try Absolute. Although, we are so busy, probably not til next week. :-/ It's driving me crazy knowing those printers are not printing correctly.
Thanks for the suggestion.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back