Guilloche and micro text printing on KM 6501

john print

Hi,
As we all know that Guilloche and micro text are fine linework which are considered to be extremly difficult for pritning on digital press.
Considering the high resolution of KM at 2400 dpi and efi's server based latest RIP, I tried printing Guilloche and micro text on KM 6501. but this machine converts every thing, even linework to halftone and prints.just for your info. the file which I was using was tiff file.

Has any one tried anything similar before, do let me know if I am missing out on something.

Thanks and Regards,
John

I guess you are trying to print some special documents that need some kind of security.

Too bad you don't have a Xerox printer. Xerox has fraud deterrent technologies for these applications.

For instance, Xerox MicroText marks: Text printed at smaller than 1 point size, readable only with a loupe or magnifying glass. Provides additional security to invoices, coupons, and other fraud-sensitive applications.

Check more at : Xerox Special Imaging Technologies for Secure Printing

BTW, I don't think the KM can print 2400dpi.

it depends on what you want.

For instance, Xerox MicroText font is $199 and you can buy it online at http://buy.xerox.com

But to make it work, you need to have a Xerox device with Xerox FreeFlow DFE and VIPP sw/interpreter.

If you have a market for this kind of documents, you can keep your current equipment and add a small Xerox like a DocuColor 242 with FreeFlow DFE, VIPP.

c6500 is not 2400x2400 it is 600x600 but can go up to 1800 if you use slim line/text on you rip. Im not going into the resolution debate but xerox and KM are achieving the same result using different methods.

Uber
so that means KM cannot print sharp line work, or microtext ?

I tried using all screen types- dot 1 , 2, line1, 2.

I always got quality much better than xerox machines on KM. but this is one very big thing which might force me to loose few big orders..

If any one has knows the way to get it done on KM without migrating to XEROX then pls let me know..

Im not a fan of some shiny oily prints..

c6500 is not 2400x2400 it is 600x600 but can go up to 1800 if you use slim line/text on you rip. Im not going into the resolution debate but xerox and KM are achieving the same result using different methods.

KM would wish to achieve the same results. The 600x600x8 bits is a technology that has been used for old DC12.

To get the results you are looking for you probably have to print a 1 bit TIFF and not an contone TIFF.

thanks Matt,
Your suggestion seems logical to me, I'll try that and let you know the result.

Uber,
just for my knowledge, when KM says that they are using LASER for imaging rather than LED what does that means, is it having a similar laser and rotating mirror technology that CTP has or is it different.

Also, what is the highest resolution any KM model has and is it laser based imaging ?

Thanks.

Uber,
just for my knowledge, when KM says that they are using LASER for imaging rather than LED what does that means, is it having a similar laser and rotating mirror technology that CTP has or is it different.

Yes it is the same.

Also, what is the highest resolution any KM model has and is it laser based imaging ?

Thanks.
Konica don't use LED anymore in colour machines. I beleave the highest resolution is 600x1800.

It's important that you don't get sucked into the resolution debate as your not comparing apples with apples. When we talk resolution people are immediately drawing comparisons like that between standard definition and high definition television. This is not true with these two technologies. If the 2400x2400 machine was 8-bit then yes the argument is valid and the SD and HD comparison would be accurate. The 2400x2400 machine is not 8-bit, it is 1-bit, just like a fax machine.

Yes it is the same.

Konica don't use LED anymore in colour machines. I beleave the highest resolution is 600x1800.

It's important that you don't get sucked into the resolution debate as your not comparing apples with apples. When we talk resolution people are immediately drawing comparisons like that between standard definition and high definition television. This is not true with these two technologies. If the 2400x2400 machine was 8-bit then yes the argument is valid and the SD and HD comparison would be accurate. The 2400x2400 machine is not 8-bit, it is 1-bit, just like a fax machine.

Uber, I don't want to start a flame with you, but is hard to stay aside. Apart from faxes (I don't have any idea about their imaging system) I was exposing 10 years with 2400x2400x1 and printing state of the art albums.... I don't see any reason not to accept that 1 bit is superior to 8 bit, is logical, easy to proof and natural....

Uber, I don't want to start a flame with you, but is hard to stay aside. Apart from faxes (I don't have any idea about their imaging system) I was exposing 10 years with 2400x2400x1 and printing state of the art albums.... I don't see any reason not to accept that 1 bit is superior to 8 bit, is logical, easy to proof and natural....

You can tell the difference between two 40um dots? good to know.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back