Guilloche and micro text printing on KM 6501

I don't want to go off topic, but since the resolution issue came up, I'd like to point out something.

There's plenty of information and documentation, that will demonstrate MATHEMATICALLY that 2400x2400x1 is better than 600x600x8.

In reality, let's remember that Image Quality is subjective, and resolution is only one factor that determines that. In the IQ equation you also need to consider toner, xerographics, transfering, fusing technology, RIP, etc.

I was speaking about CTP. In offset technology 1 bit technology is used and nobody is thinking about 8 bit.

8-bit is not achievable on CTP, like colour is not possible on a black and white telly.

I don't want to go off topic, but since the resolution issue came up, I'd like to point out something.

There's plenty of information and documentation, that will demonstrate MATHEMATICALLY that 2400x2400x1 is better than 600x600x8.

In reality, let's remember that Image Quality is subjective, and resolution is only one factor that determines that. In the IQ equation you also need to consider toner, xerographics, transfering, fusing technology, RIP, etc.

I would LOVE to see this information. I will take it to the next IGEN users group.

Agree with you. Personally I don't have a problem with resolution but with color depth....

1-bit can't match the colour fidelity of 8-bit, full stop.

8-bit is not achievable on CTP, like colour is not possible on a black and white telly.

I would LOVE to see this information. I will take it to the next IGEN users group.

1-bit can't match the colour fidelity of 8-bit, full stop.

I won't start arguing with you, but please, explain me how a laser based imaging system can generate CONSISTENT 8-bit dots. On the other hand please explain me how you can fit 6-7 microns particles in a 40 microns dot in order to generate 8 bit shading. According with my calculations even in theory that's impossible.

PS 8-bit on a laser printer is not more flexible than a CTP is more or less the same, a laser which is exposing a surface which must be developed.

I won't start arguing with you, but please, explain me how a laser based imaging system can generate CONSISTENT 8-bit dots. On the other hand please explain me how you can fit 6-7 microns particles in a 40 microns dot in order to generate 8 bit shading. According with my calculations even in theory that's impossible.

PS 8-bit on a laser printer is not more flexible than a CTP is more or less the same, a laser which is exposing a surface which must be developed.

Im not a chemist so how a 40um dot creates 255 shades using 5.2um toner is beyond me. I do know how ever that even if it can only create half the shades required it is still signficantly more than 16dots in a 40um square.

Im not a chemist so how a 40um dot creates 255 shades using 5.2um toner is beyond me. I do know how ever that even if it can only create half the shades required it is still signficantly more than 16dots in a 40um square.

Is simple, you can't. Apart from the pure physical problem, I don't see any chance to control the shades. The main problem of that technology is related to consistency, not to resolution, this is my personal opinion.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back