Halftone Screen with laser plates

dynamicprinter

I am currently using Quark9 or Indesign 5 on a mac w/OS 10.6.8
My problem is changing the screen when printing a laser plate when there is a screened logo, etc... on a brochure with type. I'm using AB Dick plates on a HP5100tn the screen goes from one extreme to another (85 to 150?). I'm just trying to get 110-120 line.
Is anybody having the same issue or know what I can do? I think the problem is in the printer.
I have the resolution enhance off, printer resolution on ProRes1200, levels of grey printer settings, Economode to Highest and Media on plain.

First of all, you must have the 5000 or 5100 PS installed, not PCL version in order to make plates. Go to welchindustries.com - left column find HP5000 printer-platemakers, there is information there that will help also.
You need a "print preset" defined for Indesign, something similar for Quark. The computer overrides whatever your printer is set on, so all parameters must be set on computer. Find the screen in edit preset with colors, select highest value at Screening: or CUSTOM, set the line screen at Frequency: 120.

Sorry for being so brief. - The HP is a money maker for small shops if you'll take time to understand it. It has 2 speeds to print, a "fast-res 1200" that's OK for paper etc. and a PRO-RES 1200 that runs half speed, this MUST be used to fuse image on plates. Again, read info on my website welchindustries.com (you'll see the HP biz is a part-time thing...) The screening thing on Adobe software is a bit confusing, doesn't set LPI at all, the block below sets LPI. It's something to do with resolution etc... just be sure it's set right. Learn the two speeds of the machine like my instructions say so you'll recognize the right speed for plates. Then you can find right setting and can make plates with most any software once you learn it. Questions, I'll try and answer.

Economode to Highest <<<<< This should be set to lightest setting giving a best result, I like it set 2-3 for simple jobs and 4 when plates have some dense spots. I make my plates then set it to 1 (lightest) and run the plates again sending a blank page, setting it to 1 should minimize toner layer on the second pass - less picture framing.
Media on plain. <<<<<< Wrong, Media must be set to Cardstock and fuser mode for "cardstock" must be set "high 2", if you having it any other way how many impressions do you get per plate? I get 10,000+
As mentioned before - Driver should be PS not a PCL and than older version than better.

PM me you phone number if you want - I can help you with basic printer settings, I won't sell you anything, promise :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back