Heavy Stock Jamming but not when duplexing

jpfulton248

Trying to run 16 pt stock on our J75 (admittedly out of spec for our printer). The job is 2 sided but we are getting really bad front to back registration so I’m thinking of trying to manually flip for the other side. Weird thing is that it jams on every sheet if I DON’T duplex. Totally counter intuitive. I have a work around idea for Monday but I’m curious if anyone can explain the reason for this. Also any tips for holding better registration on super heavy stock?

Where is it jamming? Sounds like single sided is leaving too much of a bend in the stock and its catching. Double sided must be flattening it.

dont think there's much you can do about registration apart from seeing if you can get the same stock with opposite grain direction.

For some reason it does a flip right after the print engine. No idea why since it isn’t duplexing. That’s where it jams.

In your paper setup on the engine, adjust your curling. The paper path changes right after the curling unit when set to do duplex as apposed to doing simplex. Most likely the curling needs corrected to not jam when doing simplex.

Assuming you are running grain short, make sure to use face up. and the paper size is correct. You should be running it out of the oversize cap feeder only. I no longer have that machine, but look for a finish setting other than coated, like embossed to slow the machine down.

Nope. Use regiloop in the paper profiles. It helps with thicker stocks not consistently registering. I think the value I have for some really heavy stocks is like .9?

Nope. Use regiloop in the paper profiles. It helps with thicker stocks not consistently registering. I think the value I have for some really heavy stocks is like .9?

I don’t think the J75 has that (or it’s called something different). I googled and it looks like that’s a Versant thing maybe?

Look harder.

Okay so obviously you were right. Now that I'm back in the shop I see that it is there in plain site. I'm going to spend some time trying to get this running. After setting regi-loop to .9 I'm still seeing that the front-to-back registration is off. What exactly does regi-loop do?

You'll need to describe "front-to-back registration is off" more concisely. Are you saying the registration is off, but consistently off throughout the sheets or just off between a set of sheets?

Getting 16pt front to back good registration is probably not going to happen. Best you can hope for is consistent registration on front side and then manually duplex. Adjust the curling if jamming on simplex, as I described earlier. What ever curling is happening when duplexing first side to allow the second side to pass through can be made to curl in you custom paper curling settings when printing simplex.

Never had great luck with 16pt on the J75. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Depends on what it is. 16pt/120# accent cover usually can force through but 16pt C2S not so much.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back