Versant 2100 Owners, whats the duplex registration like on your machine?

Haunts

We've had our 2100 for almost 2 months now and when we duplex on lower weight stocks it struggles to print square, the first side is perfect every time but the duplexed side is always skewed and to the limits of the profile which can't be adjusted any further to compensate. We've had countless engineers in to try and remedy the problem but without success, to the point now where they are saying it is within tolerance. So i'm just wondering if other 2100 owners have noticed this problem and if there profiles are pushing the skew to the maximum on side 2? Hopefully i've explained our problem correctly.

When the engineers/techs are there run your normal sheets and make them adjust to that in Service Mode. DO NOT let them do that adjustment on the 11 x 17 sheets that adjustment in Service Mode only allows to print.

Our registration is great front the back, the only time I have issues is if the paper is not cut well. Once I run the alignment profile most stocks are pretty bang on with very little movement.

Ours seems to be very accurate front to back, but sheet to sheet is another matter.

We have two. Both drift significantly day to day but running an alignment profile brings it right back. Usually dead on for text weights and very close on cover. We usually run an alignment profile every time we change paper. After that it's decent throughtout the run even with long runs. Not as consistent as a Ricoh's were. If you can combine the auto alignment of the xerox with ricoh registration it would be perfect.

Our first machine we got did have problems similar to yours after about a month. Engineers came out and tons of parts were replace and they couldn't get it. It was extremely inconsistent and we were maxing out the alignment profiles. They replaced the entire machine because it was taking to long to figure out. I guess after they got it back in the office our tech figured it out. I don't know what it was but I can ask next time I see him.

We've had our 2100 for almost 2 months now and when we duplex on lower weight stocks it struggles to print square, the first side is perfect every time but the duplexed side is always skewed and to the limits of the profile which can't be adjusted any further to compensate. We've had countless engineers in to try and remedy the problem but without success, to the point now where they are saying it is within tolerance. So i'm just wondering if other 2100 owners have noticed this problem and if there profiles are pushing the skew to the maximum on side 2? Hopefully i've explained our problem correctly.

I had an issue similar to this on the Versant 80. Registration used to be dead on but was drifting bad on the back side. They changed my whole registration assembly with no luck. So we started testing and found it was only doing it from the high cap feeders. The machine trays ran fine. It turned out that all that was needed were new feed tired in the high cap tray. They old ones did not even look that bad but were slipping just enough to make it skew.

I had an issue similar to this on the Versant 80. Registration used to be dead on but was drifting bad on the back side. They changed my whole registration assembly with no luck. So we started testing and found it was only doing it from the high cap feeders. The machine trays ran fine. It turned out that all that was needed were new feed tired in the high cap tray. They old ones did not even look that bad but were slipping just enough to make it skew.
We have two. Both drift significantly day to day but running an alignment profile brings it right back. Usually dead on for text weights and very close on cover. We usually run an alignment profile every time we change paper. After that it's decent throughtout the run even with long runs. Not as consistent as a Ricoh's were. If you can combine the auto alignment of the xerox with ricoh registration it would be perfect.

Our first machine we got did have problems similar to yours after about a month. Engineers came out and tons of parts were replace and they couldn't get it. It was extremely inconsistent and we were maxing out the alignment profiles. They replaced the entire machine because it was taking to long to figure out. I guess after they got it back in the office our tech figured it out. I don't know what it was but I can ask next time I see him.
My 2100 is terrible on registration. It had been spot on but with 1.8 mil clicks it is bad. They have replaced all mechanical part. Still not good. It may start fine but then it will leading to trailing edge. It has been quite a while since you posted this. Any chance you recall what it was. My techs are puzzled,.

We have two 2100s and the registration used to be pretty steady but as the machines have gotten older they're having a harder time holding on the cover stocks. We pretty much have to run an alignment anytime we change the cover paper stock. The text weights hold just fine and are usually right on and we rarely have to run alignments on those.

Our techs have tried to improve the issue but they don't seem to be able to isolate a specific cause/fix either.

Mine has 1.8 mil clicks. Doesn't seem to matter if it is text or cover weight. If printing lets say 300 sheets, it will suddenly shift position, then later go back in line. Even doing a baseline calibration is having issues. Tech says everything has been replaced and still not working correctly.

I printed just a few sheets the other day to be sure it was tracking correctly. After seeing it was spot on I ran 50 sheets. Suddenly it shift around 4 mm. Going back to 20 sheets at a time kept it in line. The drift is from leading to trailing edge of the sheet.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPEG
    IMG_1008.JPEG
    744 KB · Views: 157
Mine has 1.8 mil clicks. Doesn't seem to matter if it is text or cover weight. If printing lets say 300 sheets, it will suddenly shift position, then later go back in line. Even doing a baseline calibration is having issues. Tech says everything has been replaced and still not working correctly.

I printed just a few sheets the other day to be sure it was tracking correctly. After seeing it was spot on I ran 50 sheets. Suddenly it shift around 4 mm. Going back to 20 sheets at a time kept it in line. The drift is from leading to trailing edge of the sheet.
Wow. You need to exercise your Total Satisfaction Guarantee and get yourself a new machine. This is not your responsibility to fix. Call Xerox and ask for the customer relations (?) team. They need to fix the machine or give you a new one.

Yeh, thats way too far out to accept. I'd consider that unusable.

Tell them they can keep replacing parts, the machine wasn't designed like that so the problem is somewhere.

I remember years ago on our DC242 we had an issues and they kept sending the same engineer out, multiple visits and parts and couldn't solve the issue.
I contacted them again and asked to speak to the head of the department and explained I couldn't continue like this. Next day a full team of techs arrived, machine was back up and running following day.

You need to put your foot down with them.

Yeh, thats way too far out to accept. I'd consider that unusable.

Tell them they can keep replacing parts, the machine wasn't designed like that so the problem is somewhere.

I remember years ago on our DC242 we had an issues and they kept sending the same engineer out, multiple visits and parts and couldn't solve the issue.
I contacted them again and asked to speak to the head of the department and explained I couldn't continue like this. Next day a full team of techs arrived, machine was back up and running following day.

You need to put your foot down with them.
Yes. Say they have a week to fix the machine or you'll be exercising your rights.

WE had this exact problem like a month ago and I sent a very similar photo to our tech and he was like "what am I looking at" LOL - They did fix it but it took a while.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the proper terms but if I remember right it was a bad motor on the fuser that was causing the red/orangish fuser belt to pull over constantly until the fuser belt got pulled so far to the side it got eaten up by the motor. I found shredded pieces of the red belt when I went to unjam the machine and they figured out that was the problem.

There is probably not a machine that exist that doesn't have alignment problems if the sensors and rollers are not kept clean, sometimes on a daily basis depending on how much coated stock you are running. Some machines require more maintenance like the versant compared to the Iridesse but it even has alignment problems if the sensors and rollers are not kept clean.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back