Heidelberg's new Digital Print offering

Josh

I'm sure quite a few people will have seen this but for those that haven't there's a bit more information on Heidelberg's latest foray into the digital printing market.

Full details here: Heidelberg: digital venture will render rival presses irrelevant | printweek.com | Latest Print Industry News, Jobs, Features, Product Reviews, Used Printing and Packaging Machinery

Essentially they're going to be selling a re-badged 80-90ppm digital machine with there own workflow... the workflow links the digital machine and a Heidelberg Anicolor machine and routes jobs automatically to the most cost effective device.

I have to be honest, I don't tend to get impressed by this type of stuff but this sounds like a solid idea. You basically get the best of both worlds from Litho & Digital so job's are always produced in the cheapest way.

My personal thought is that it has to be a Konica Minolta 8000 machine they're looking to go with. Apart from the speed range mentioned the way in which the KM's "closed loop" calibration works is very similar to the Anicolor and you can see how they'd build it into the same workflow/controller.

What does everyone think of this?

Intersting since Heidelburg is also getting into the grand format digital printing

January 18, 2011Heidelberg USA to Distribute EFI VUTEk Printers
Further Extends EFI's Reach With Superwide Digital Printing Into the Commercial Print Marketplace

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Jan. 18, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- EFI™ (Nasdaq:EFII) and Heidelberg USA, Inc. today announced a new agreement under which Heidelberg will distribute the VUTEk® GS series of superwide format digital printers to the commercial print market across the U.S.

Under the agreement, Heidelberg USA will distribute EFI's VUTEk GS2000, GS3200, and GS5000r as well as the inks, parts, consumables, accessories and upgrades related to these printers. Heidelberg will also provide customer and technical support for the VUTEk GS series of printers including installation and training.

EFI is a world leader in digital imaging and print management solutions for commercial, packaging, in-plant and specialty printers worldwide. Heidelberg is the world's leading solutions provider for the print media industry. The company manufactures sheetfed press systems as well as prepress and postpress components, software and consumables for all printing applications.

"We're excited to enter into this distribution agreement with Heidelberg USA. It allows us to bring Heidelberg customers our award-winning superwide format digital printers," said Frank Mallozzi, senior vice president of worldwide sales and marketing, EFI. "Commercial printers are looking for ways to distinguish themselves and offer their clients more diversified products and services. Now we can reach those companies through a broader network."

Heidelberg USA will have a GS3200 in its North American Print & Packaging Technology Center (NAPPTC) for demonstrations. The machine will be integrated into a complete Prinect workflow and will be color managed by Heidelberg's Prinect Color Toolbox which has recently been awarded the IDEAlliance G7 System Certification. Customers will benefit from a single workflow that drives a digital device and an offset press with the result being a color matched output from both.

"Wide and superwide format printing are high-growth opportunities and Heidelberg has the right workflow, color management, service and Saphira consumables expertise needed to integrate these technologies into a print production environment," said James Martin, senior vice president, marketing, Heidelberg USA. "EFI is a leader in the superwide space and together with Heidelberg we can bring a best-in-class portfolio to our customers."

from efi site

It is nice to see Heidelberg back in the Digital Market. I hope they found a partner than they had with Presstech. Those guys love to sue.

why don't they stick to what they know best and develop their printing presses. as we can see the Japanese has much better and advanced technology then Heidelberg. once every 25 years to renew press technology is not really innovative company.

let's recap HDM track record:
used to be number one in printing presses, branched to prepress manufacturing and failed (prinect is a Joke), trying to explore digital printing (nexpress) and failed, and now trying to get in to MIS and wide format printing????

Being in the Field Engineering of Vutek products and having 20 years of experience with Heidelburg , I cannot see anything good from this except Head office cashing in their stocks and bonuses with short term gain. Basically they have cut the legs of their sales people ( all non salary ) and margined out their internal support. Vutek was king for many years and now they partner with another non visionary company. Both companies were leaders that everyone wanted to deal with and work for, now not so much.
Both companies could still surprise us but I have doubts. I suppose I do not understand corporate mentality. Kill off Experience and Quality for higher profits, both companies pricing including support and supplies is completely off the scale.

Didn't they also get into the web press business for a while with the Sunday Press and even further back the copier side with the digimaster (from Kodak I think)

They tried to get back to the core competency but too bad thats in making offset presses which is a dwindling market with too many players already in the field. They should have stuck it out with the Nexpress, at least the digital side is growing.

Thats about it Grand format or Ultra Grand 2m or bigger is still hot, solvent printer while great are going away for the apparent environmental benifits, there is an idea that UV printing is Green ( far from it ) . Here too there are now many players that have been courting offset and screen printers. Before in offset etc you had real professionals both printing and suppling, now its full of clowns cheapining the industry. Fleet graphics and short run have already paid for this, it all a matter of time.

Seems everyone see this except the Heavy metal producers.

Reckon, in ten years time we will know who's right and who's not.

Bad mouthing is not such a great thing though!

Both were Great , I suppose we will see although I think we will see in earlier than 10 years.

No bad mouthing intended only head scratching ( and other parts ).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back