Help ASAP_blending pms and cmyk

rande

I have a job that was built 5 color, they're thinking they want it to be 4.
My problem is that when I convert it the gradient black on top of the pms
knocks it out. Any way to have them blend?
And why is the black grad on top blending fine with the pms
but not when the pms is converted.
thanks

What application? Can you put the black gradation on its own layer and tell it to multiply?

Its a PDF. Was trying to do something with pitstop.
I'm ending up opening thru pitstop, into Photoshop and rebuilding the grad.
Can't think of another way.

If you're rebuilding thru photoshop, can you start your gradation with black+100% of the pms color and end it with the pms color?

The black gradient would blend fine with the PMS if either the PDF is not flattened or if it was flattened but created with a "Simulate Overprint" option (depending on the native software) selected when it was generated. As for why it's knocking out it's hard to say without seeing the file but I'd guess that the PDF was flattened with an overprint simulation and when you convert to the PMS to process it's having a hard time re-rendering the simulated area correctly.

Off the cuff I'd say that you'd either need to do something along the lines of what your doing or go back to the native file, convert the color there then regenerate the PDF so that the overprint simulation can't bungle anything up. I'm assuming you don't have the native file, though, so it's not an option. You could also try the Convert Colors tool in Acrobat professional... don't know if that would give you a different result, though.

Your customer really should either provide you with a new PDF reflecting the new color choice or send you an unflattened file that can be edited more easily if they are going to change their mind.

Again, just venturing a guess.... can't be sure without seeing the original PDF.

Thanks,
Soilworker

sometimes, optimising the pdf or flattening in acrobat before you convert to CMYK makes a difference.
Although Pitstops colour conversions doesnt usually create any file problems.
I always struggle with Acrobats colour conversions. It always seems to destroy something within the pdf 90% of the time...

I personally like the colour sep that acrobat converts to rather than pitstops colours (dull), but when it comes to keeping the pdf stable, acrobat seems to destroy the pdf, pitstop somehow is much gentler to the pdf and keeps it much happier... (ive found)

how are you converting the file in pistop? Inspector, Global, Preflight profile, Action...

spot and CMYK interact by using overprint

spot and CMYK interact by using overprint

If you export to a flattened Postscript, AND simulate overprint you may be able to get what you want. The rule is that if you want to remap spot colours then you must remap before flattening. Was working on a job yesterday where two images were lost by remapping/converting the spot colour in the RIP. (this is probably the single factor that will move us from PDFx1a to PDFx4)

Although Pitstops colour conversions doesnt usually create any file problems.
I always struggle with Acrobats colour conversions. It always seems to destroy something within the pdf 90% of the time...

What version of Acrobat are you using and what types of problems are you seeing?

Leonard

Hi there Leonard,

Im am happily using Acrobat 7. (for 2 years now...) The conversions RGB-CMYK, or Re-mapping colours in Acrobat usually (but not always) destroys the file.

Example, if an image or logo was placed in Indesign and an effect applied to it, such as a drop shadow or something (transparency related), once converted in Acrobat to CMYK it will turn into big black chunks, drop shadow and image/logo a complete mess.
(Main >From memory big black chunks will then be present in the pdf.)

I believe if the designers know what they are doing when constructing there files in the first place (correct formats, correct settings, correct layering, etc) and can make a pdf correctly, acrobat would probably convert the pdf fine.

I have actually seen acrobat convert properly, but it really depends on the pdf we get sent.

Come on man they are all good options but why not editing the file in Adobe illustrator, it wont damage anything and it will help you a lot, also you might be able to edit the Gradient so it works well with the black overprint.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back