Help with Die cut

bejamshi

Hi,
I am working on a presentation folder with die cuts. What color should i define the die cut?
Is registration color CMYK %100 be good?

Also I have the die cut on one page and the other page I have the design, would that be ok as well?

Thanks.
example shown here.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 187
Create a color called "Die Cut--Do Not Print" that way it will not appear on any of the plates that are actually printed (if the cut is slightly off you don't want the line to show). Make sure that the die line is a vectored path so that it can be used to make the die.

DO NOT use registration color as it will PRINT on all colors including any spot colors that you have. Registration is ONLY for registration marks (crop marks, etc.).

In addition, the color should be a spot color and to be really on the safe side, set the whole dieline to overprint. The actual color composition of the spot color is unimportant, you can choose any color appearance as you wish, as long as it is a spot color and is set to overprint.

As mentioned above, must be a Spot Color, and set to Overprint. In addition, create you art, and drop the die line/die cut on a new layer above the graphics text for your folder. This way it's all visible on one page, and if by chance something doesn't line up - everyone will see it right off the bat!

Thank you friends, one problem. When I put the die cut on a separate layer and the art work on its own layer and output as pdf/-x the output is all one layer, the layers no longer exist.
I checked this in acrobat pro

If you output your pdf as separations you will see separate layers for C M Y K and your die line, presuming you have set this to a spot colour. As mentioned, set your die line to overprint.

You need crops on all plates/layers. You can output PDF w/ layers, it has to be PDF version 1.5 and up. But it doesn't really matter as long as it's a Spot Color set to overprint.

Your application will create crops in registration and they will appear on all plates. You tell it to do this in the print / export dialogue box. If you create any fold marks on the job, place these on the artwork layer, and put them in registration.

i work with dies day in day out - packaging here

i hate it when someone makes a colour called "do not print" - i try but cannot find this colour in ANY pantone/swatch book i have, and i end up having to change it - and if it's on a pdf well have a good think about that

here we do 2 proofs - one with the cutter on and one without - the one without is made into a mock-up. proofing systems use a pantone LUT and "do not print" does not appear in them!

Funny, I work in Packaging everyday too. And everyone uses the Spot Color "Die Line" or "Do Not Print", etc with no problems. I don't care if it is color accurate when proofed or not, after all it won't print. At any rate, he's doing a pocket folder, and it will likely run in a commercial shop with PDF editing tools. If not, I'd hope it could be prepped and sent to RIP, then turn off the Die Color when plating. No?

Yes it is going to a printer with pdf editing tools. I really appreciate your help, I did not know about the overprint option. Thanks

sure i got editing tools - thing is, i do not ever use the die that comes in. i always but ALWAYS use the latest version nfrom our cad dept. tuck flaps, glue flaps, dust flaps - they can all change from initial design stage cutter supply - so at some point that customers cutter has to come off

then we maybe gotta make double hit plates, with say a PPI not double hit, or a barcode not double hit, or maybe wanna put something under golds - all manner of stuff, and the cutter is just one thing that gets in the way

sure - i can proof it, but only after i've dialled in my own "colour" that is called "do not print" or whatever

but if it works for you then fine - for me its a pita - not everybody works the same

Dieline

Dieline

I use rampage_dieline as it rips right EVERY time, preferably with a color that contrasts the artwork making it visible. I also like to make the lines .25pt :D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back