How can you tell if something is printed? ie/ Flexo, Offset or Gravure

Hi,

I was wonderding what are the key giveaway methods of telling if something has been printed either by a Flexo, Offset or Gravure press?

I know some things are way more obvious than others, like a bread wrapper would be printed on Flexo right, but for containers, like toothpaste box, how would you know if its Flexo, Offset or Gravure?

Sure. Whip out your loupe and use this guide:

The Print Guide: How was it printed? Simple ways to determine the printing method used.

And the only one missing is..... Nanography.
Because it ain't PRINTING.

Very good link Gordo, thank you. We have all learned something form it or at least have been retaught.

D

I'd love to have a sample if nanography. (I was going to refer to it as nanoo nanoography - but then Robin Williams died :-(

If anyone has a sample they could send me, contact me via PM.

Thanks

I'd love to have a sample if nanography. (I was going to refer to it as nanoo nanoography - but then Robin Williams died :-(

If anyone has a sample they could send me, contact me via PM.

Thanks

Hands off sir, unless you put 100 mil $ upfront.
Bernie, I mean Benny's rules.

D

Awesome guide, Gordo.

You could add looking for a 'spray' in inkjet printing due to the movement of the head. That could help to determine whether item was printed uni-directional or bi-directional. Maybe add Memjet onto the list? Memjet might look a bit different to regular inkjet - also usually leaves stray dots all over the place to keep the heads wet.

Also, in toner printing look for a yellow 'signature' mark of seemingly random yellow spots that some presses leave on the sheet. (Probably for security reasons?)

Nicolas

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back