How to change black settings of an ICC profile in i1Profiler?

Prepper

I've done this before but it's been a while, I'd like to take the new Gracol Uncoated profile and change the GCR setting to max and resave.

If in the profiling window, on patch set, if I double click the GRACoL2013UNC_CRPC3.icc profile, it loads, go to measurement window, double click on that same profile again, edit profile settings to max black and then generate a new profile with a new name, is that the way to accomplish this?

Seems that's how I did it before.

Thanks

Patch sets and Test chart are for creating the profiling charts.

Measurement is for measuring using a device, or for loading single or multiple (for averaging) previously saved measurement data files.

Generally, one starts from measurement/characterisation data and not a profile.

This can be drag-n-drop of measurement data from the assets list on the left hand side panel (.mxf), or one can use the load button for (.mxf, .rmxf, .CGATS .txt or CxF .cxf measurement data files.

It is possible to drag-n-drop a supported ICC profile from the ICC profiles section of the assets list on the left, however I would personally use a measurement file.

As for the profile settings:

Use the “roman_16_03_lowkey.tif” preview image, and any others that may be of help. Click on the K channel only preview icon (it’s a shame that there is no CMY only).

Black curve at Max. Black width at what you like, probably full, probably check use intelligent black.

This would be my first profile choice…

I would then repeat the exercise using the “full black separation” setting, which does not support a live preview (why X-Rite, why?).

Once you have two profiles created using both methods, I would then test them in Photoshop.

Attached is a Photoshop action that I created which generates greyscale test step wedges and gradients, which are helpful for initial profile testing. Then move on to common photographic images and or vector art that you separate and test there.

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• Step-Wedge.atn.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Ok, thanks Stephen, I'll have to see if I can locate the data file for 2013 and try that then.

When you are in advanced mode, if you can double click and access the profile without warnings in the list of assets from the left, then you may be able to create a new profile with different GCR settings based off the measurement data contained in the profile. That being said, if you have a saved workflow or measurement data, then that is where I personally would prefer to start. If all you have is the profile and it works and you have the result that you require…

GRACoL2013UNC_CRPC3.icc
http://www.npes.org/Portals/0/standards/docs/CGATS21-2-CRPC3.txt

Stephen Marsh

Ok, thanks Stephen. It didn't come up with any warnings if I just load the profile, if I load the .txt file, as a measurement, it tells me it can't be converted to another standard because no spectral data is available and if I know the calibration choose it from a drop down box which has XRite XRGA, Gretag, Xrite Legacy and a couple others? I tried it both ways and see no difference in the gamut plot?

Anyway, we normally do not print 4-color on uncoated but have this special rush project to do right now so another question I have is how it that normally proofed? We have EFI Fiery and an Epson 7900 with Spectro and just proof all our coated work on a semi-matte proofing paper. Should I proof this on the same paper and just use my new Uncoated profile as the source and simulation CMYK profiles? I will be converting to that profile coming out of Indesign so the PDF I will print for a proof will already be converted to my uncoated profile.

Thanks for any insight you may have to add about this.

There are two approaches:

One is to proof to semi-matte stock, using Absolute Colorimetric rendering intent, so that the “off white” of the uncoated paper stock is simulated. If the uncoated white point is similar to the semi matte paper, then the paper white simulation is often skipped. If the paper white simulation is not a concern, proof Relative Colorimetric (some profile creation software will allow you to zero out the white point so that it is neutral and max lightness, without affecting other colours, you may also be able to monkey with the measurement data to achieve a similar result).

The second approach is to use a matte coated lighter weight stock, which will hopefully not limit the gamut of the proof (that is what the proof simulation settings do) – however it will provide a “look” that is closer to the final product than semi matte/satin media. The same issues with simulating the paper white apply (generally this type of paper is brighter white and has more optical brightening agents in it, so absolute colorimetric proofing to simulate the paper tint may be a desirable option, however clients always note that paper outside of the trim area is brighter than the simulation).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back