How to set up VDP file where each record has a different print quantity

buckeye

Using data merge in InDesign or possibly within Excel, can we take a column of values and assign them as print quantities? Thank you.

How will the DFE/RIP/Workflow software driving this pickup the quantity value? Do you have hot-folders at the printer pre-set to different quantities? Do you intend to “print” files rather than process them via input folders?

I have previously explored this – however your equipment’s capabilities will need to be known and understood.

EDIT: Are you doing this on Mac or Windows? Will this be centralised on a server or as the need arises at one or more workstations? Are you looking for full automation or semi-auto or manual processing? Do you have Acrobat Pro or Enfocus Switch or other PDF tools and or file management software?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Stephen,

Thanks for replying. Turns out I didn't have to do anything on my end other than import the supplied csv file into InDesign's Data Merge. Our mailing/fullfillment guy used Mail Manager and Excel to create the csv. I do have Acrobat Pro and Fusion Pro but with less than 500 records, Data Merge worked just fine.

Thanks again,

Erik

Hi Erik,

Turns out I had totally misinterpreted your question. I thought that you were looking for ways to split up the final merged records for printing based on the variable quantity required for each record (I was presuming that you had an existing column of data for quantity).

Stephen Marsh

Stephen,

Thanks for replying. Turns out I didn't have to do anything on my end other than import the supplied csv file into InDesign's Data Merge. Our mailing/fullfillment guy used Mail Manager and Excel to create the csv. I do have Acrobat Pro and Fusion Pro but with less than 500 records, Data Merge worked just fine.

Thanks again,

Erik

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back