HP Z3200ps 44" (I could use lots of help!)

Jackofall

Hi Everyone!

Glad I found this place :)

So I'm new here, and I've got some questions that could use answering as I'm no professional print master.

We got this Z3200 at work and I'm in charge of printing posters for people. I've done fairly well trying to figure out exactly how to print on this monster but have run into a few issues along the way.

Recently I needed new paper and bought some HP stuff but it's thin as anything (just wonderful for 4x3 foot posters) I've been able to manage with that, but I cannot tell the printer the specific HP paper I'm using and I think it's making this issue happen.

Whenever I print something, the black ink comes right off. I try using the plain paper setting but it still wipes off.

All other colours stay with no issue. Is there a specific setting I could try checking out?

I'm for sure going to order some heavy bond paper in the future, cause it worked quite well.

As I mentioned above, I don't even really know how to use this thing so I am lost in the woods. ANY help on large format printing (I've found that I have to create my own custom sizes because there's no setting for paper 30" or larger it seems) and any insight into why the black ink is rubbing right off would be very helpful.

I might be here more often for tips and advice too :)

We have a Z2100 and should be pretty similar. Try going to HP's website and look up your printer model under the support tab. There, hopefully you will find the substrate you have purchased. Look to see if you can download the paper settings for this material. You can then upload it to your printer through a web browser. Type in your printers IP address in the browser and look for the setup tab and select the paper presets link. This is where you can upload the paper settings you downloaded earlier. If you can not see your printer in the web browser, you will need to enable it at the interface at the printer. This should at least help you with the ink lay down. Good luck. =)

Make SURE you are using inkjet paper that has a micro-porous coating.

It sounds like you are using bond paper and, if it is not coated, will deliver the results you are now experincing. It works on HP 5000/5500 as they are UV-based.

Aqueous printers need coated paper to get good results w/o too much bleed.

Thanks for the tips :)

looks like the only paper presets they have are for banner stuff.

I've been very unimpressed with the rollout from HP. We bought this in August and had a tech come out 6 times because of a controller error. Had to replace the main controller and a secondary power part (due to some strange pairing the parts do once used together)

I couldn't believe HP would send a tech out so many times for a brand new product. He said he'd never been sent out so many times but HP refused to replace it.

Their Windows 7 driver rollout was crazy too. An $8,000 printer and they didn't even have drivers for Windows 7 until May 2010! I had to force in Windows Vista drivers and it worked.

the paper I ordered was HP brand, plain paper. It is pretty thin so heavy prints (darker solid colours) make the paper do the crinkle after drying from too much ink. I'll be making sure to get some heavier paper in the future.

So for the paper I bought, there doesn't seem to be presets available, so the black ink coming off is something I'll have to deal with for now :eek:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back