ICC Profiles changing screen values

yespress

The other day, I got a PDF file from a client, and it was created with RGB images and an ICC profile. When I brought it into Prinergy, it was converted to CMYK, but the CMYK values in the boxes changed. The images looked OK. I get files like this every once in a while. I have to save them as PS files and distill them as X1a files. Is there a way to delete the embedded profiles in Prinergy so that the CMYK values don't change?

sounds like there is a double color conversion going on. The PDF/X-1a settings in Distiller if I recall correctly convert to SWOP v2 CMYK. What is your refine and output processes doing with CMYK and tagged CMYK in Prinergy?

To do what you are looking for, check the "Override embedded profiles" checkbox while leaving the CMYK image and graphic profile checkboxes unchecked. This will have the effect of stripping profiles tagged to CMYK elements and making these all DeviceCMYK.

I tried that and what is happening is that the RGB isn't being converted to CMYK. I don't know if the problem is that the file is RGB or that the file contains ICC profiles. It's not that big a deal to redistill the files, I just thought it would be easier to have Prinergy do automatically. Any other ideas?

The other day, I got a PDF file from a client, and it was created with RGB images and an ICC profile. When I brought it into Prinergy, it was converted to CMYK, but the CMYK values in the boxes changed. The images looked OK. I get files like this every once in a while. I have to save them as PS files and distill them as X1a files. Is there a way to delete the embedded profiles in Prinergy so that the CMYK values don't change?

But are you crazy? ;) Why remove valuable information?
If someone actually tells you want they want, what they expect, what they saw on their monitor then thou shall respect that and carefully make sure you print what is expected from you.
At least we do so.
If you have a serious engine that can read all colour info in the PDF, output intent or specific profiles on elements inside the same then you can convert it all to your destination. Your press, your proof standard or whatever it might be.

Or are you letting your press decide over you?
I decide what any press shall print for me. The substrate us my only hinder.

There ate at least two solutions in the market that can take care of this. One more serious than the other.

Simplify for your client and respect the info they give you, is my answer.

Cheers

Btw. Are you printing cmyk values or colours?
If someone claim that 100% cyan and 50% magenta is a colour, just show him the plates and ask if they see any colour :))
A cmyk value without the profile from a client is not a colour. It is a silly value.
If the client has given you the profile info you actually know what colour they want.
Of course you shall convert it all to match.

Good morning,

I do not want to start a discussion about the (non)sense of ICCbasedCMYK in print ready PDF files. The issue here is the presence of such CMYK profiles and the intention, that the CMYK values should be used for output as such, without any alteration.

The correct way to do is ether
1) treat ICCbasedCMYK as DeviceCMYK (ignore CMYK ICC source profiles)
2) remove CMYK ICC source profiles

If the workflow in question does not offer option 1 ( at least I could not see the corresponding option on the provided screenshot) you have to go for option 2

This can ether be done using the fixup capability of Acrobat Preflight (if needed, I'd be happy to provide such a preflight profile) or by using a 3rd application that offers this function.

<callas software ad>
callas pdfToolbox offers in its easy to use GUI a Switchboard Action to remove CMYK ICC source profiles with a single click. Give it a try at www.callassoftware.com
</callas software ad>

Regards,

Peter

Why not just do the colour conversion in Acrobat. Use the colour converter to convertto output intent. You will get the option to preserve CMYK primaries and preserve black.
You can also use the colour converter to just convert RGB, embed profiles or strip profiles (not recommended)

Thanks, guess that's what I'll do. Just thought there might be a way to do this automatically in Prinergy.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back