If you have $27k cash and want to buy a used machine, What is your best bet?

Kennn

Hi, If you have $27k cash and want to buy a digital copier what would you buy?

I was looking at KM Bizhub c6500/c6501 with fiery, finishing, feeders and folder.

Every time this type of question gets asked, I say the same thing....what are your needs? Do you want to crank out duplex cards with tons of VDP on 100 lb gloss cover...or are you running copy jobs on 20lb paper?

Every time this type of question gets asked, I say the same thing....what are your needs? Do you want to crank out duplex cards with tons of VDP on 100 lb gloss cover...or are you running copy jobs on 20lb paper?

I wanna do some menus, so I think duplex on 100 lbs that can be laminated off line later.

it really depends of how close to registration you want (or need ) to get. IMHO i would check ebay, you can pick up a 2 6500's or even ask around on the board there are many re-sellers where you could even get 3-4 240 in some cases!!

The easy answer to the question would be a used KM6501, you should be easily able to find one for way under 27K. I agree that a 240 would be a nice entry level option as well.

both machines are great! i have never owned a 6500 but i have heard that they are workhorses! i currently own 2 240 and run them all day long, the only catch with the 6500 is that i have heard that they produce a very glossy print close to the xerox docucolor line, and your clients may not want that....just another point

it really depends of how close to registration you want (or need ) to get. IMHO i would check ebay, you can pick up a 2 6500's or even ask around on the board there are many re-sellers where you could even get 3-4 240 in some cases!!

2,3-4 machines?
Sorry I'm new to production side. I might have many stupid questions.
So people buy more than 1 machine? they break down that easy?
If I get 6500 or 6501 should I get service contract or just call a tech when it breaks?

So people buy more than 1 machine?

Yes

they break down that easy?

Yes

If I get 6500 or 6501 should I get service contract or just call a tech when it breaks?

If you're new at this game, I would strongly suggest getting a service contract. What kind of experience do you have?

I guess, a more blunt way of putting it would be "what makes you think you can pull this off"?

check lamination

check lamination

look into the lamination -- not all toner output laminates well. Fuser oil creates problems and so does wax.

Yes

Yes

If you're new at this game, I would strongly suggest getting a service contract. What kind of experience do you have?

I guess, a more blunt way of putting it would be "what makes you think you can pull this off"?

I'm not trying to fix machine by myself but service contract or call tech when machine is broken.
This is my 1st machine so I don't know which is better or cheaper idea.
there are two companies who I talked to
1. higher machine price but cheaper contract service - 6cents color and 1cent b/w for all sizes, all included but paper.
2 cheaper machine price but contract service is 10cents color and x cent b/w for all sizes, all included but paper..... this guy said he have to charge higher because some customers are seller his toners on the side.

Get a new unit

Get a new unit

If you join the NAQP and you can buy a new C6000 for a few thousand higher and get a much lower CPC for the service contract

QUOTE=Kennn;164254]Los Angeles County[/QUOTE]

If you join the NAQP and you can buy a new C6000 for a few thousand higher and get a much lower CPC for the service contract

QUOTE=Kennn;164254]Los Angeles County
[/QUOTE]

what is NAQP? they make machine price and clicks cheaper?
sorry for stupid questions, I really have no idea.

when you say c6000 what brand is that?

Last edited:
I'm not trying to fix machine by myself but service contract or call tech when machine is broken.

Your deadline is in 30 minutes, your tech is 2 hours away and when he turns up he doesn't have the needed part, will be couriered in tomorrow.

Redundancy is the key to success!

If it were me, I would keep the $27,000 and make a deal with another printer who has a color machine. Build up the business until you know what kind of machine you need.

You need to figure out how many pages you would print a month too.

we are doing about 3000-5000 11x17 a month but want to make 10,000copies by the end of this year. all jobs are small run jobs like 20-200 duplex each job.
my local printer are charging me 75cents for 2sided 11x17.
the two main reasons we are looking to buy a machine are
1. lower cost - if I understand correctly from Click Charge and paper cost I will saved 50%
2. Time - my local printer is 15 mins away from me. I would save 30mins+ a day and get faster turn around time too.

we are 2 people broker company(my sister and I).
our parent just loan us 40k and we want to use nomore than 27k on a copier

So you have the work

So you have the work

I didn't realize you already had the work.

I assume since you are dealing with someone local they have a mid-range machine like a Konica 6501. Machines like these are down a lot! You really need a contract, then still prepare to be down. If you purchase a used machine (like on Ebay) the service company will charge you $1,000's to bring it up to spec before they will service the machine. With no experience with the machine you should purchase the machine from the company that will service it.

You mention laminating - are you looking at a laminating machine or a UV coating machine? As in a previous post the type of ink used on the digital press you have is different depending on manufacturer.

You mention laminating - are you looking at a laminating machine or a UV coating machine? As in a previous post the type of ink used on the digital press you have is different depending on manufacturer.

Some Ink can't be laminated?
Can c6500 or c6501's Inks be laminated? I normally do 5mil,7mil and 10mil lamination for my customer.

Thank you for all the in put guys. This help me a lot.
:)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back