Illustrator converting from CS2 to CS3 type reflowing

We have just converted a lot of our machines over to CS3 but have noticed that some of the type is reflowing differently to our files in CS2, has anyone else come across this.

I have just noticed that it is the kerning that is causing the problem, kerning is set to Auto in CS2 which has given me a value of 0 between two of the characters but in CS3 the value is now -150 (auto), the font i am using is Guia Script Pro which is opentype.

Auto uses font metrics, don't know that they are treated differently. Would you happen to know what flavour OpenType? (TT or Type1) Could you please show a sample?

You can set up Illy to create an FPO of the original type to use as a reference
when opening an older file.

MSD

I was thinking it was a preference you could set
but ...
now that I think about it -
I think it is just a dialogue box that opens and asks
you if you would like to do that when you open the legacy file.
Possibly, you need to go into your preferences and click the reset all warnings button.
If folks don't know what a dialogue means -
they often click "Do not show this warning again".

MSD

two thoughts strike me.
1) legacy text, while maintaining appearance can be tricky correcting if there is any colour management going on. Got lotts of legacy text in tech illustrations that wouldn't convert to real black untill I undid the legacy (edit or flatten)
2) I am wondering if the font is a Type 1 font where the metrics files are on some machines but not all. Many fonts have the same name but exist in different versions causing reflowing. Where it is the font verion that is doing the reflowing not the software.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back