Illustrator file changing size

rath307

We have 2 jobs where when we change a color in the Illustrator file which happens to be a die. When it updates in InDesign Doc it changes
size or the position moves. Usually the size change is less that 1%
so on large jobs it is difficult to see that it changed. Is there a preference that needs to be changed?

How are you detecting this 1% change in size? By viewing it on screen in the InDesign opened file ? If so, do you have the display set t "High Quality Display?" Or are you determining this size change by selecting the item in InDy with the direct selection tool, or white arrow, and noticing the increase in the width and height fields?

If it is the latter, is it possible that you are inadvertently adding a stroke to it in Illustrator?

Al

what versions (and where )

what versions (and where )

We have 2 jobs where when we change a color in the Illustrator file which happens to be a die. When it updates in InDesign Doc it changes
size or the position moves. Usually the size change is less that 1%
so on large jobs it is difficult to see that it changed. Is there a preference that needs to be changed?

And when i ask what versions - i think you may understand that I mean to ask "what version of illustrator, what did they save as ( ,eps, .ai, .pdf...) and what version of InDesign did they save into...

and - what version of Illustrrator ar YOU using to open and modify and save to - and what version of InDesign ?

and -- can't you suggest / beg that you client uses DIELINE as a spot color and have that color (and or object ) always set to overprint - that would avoid the entire mess... (yes ? )

I was not able to duplicate this issue here on my Mac.

Michael,

Thanks for bringing up that thread again. I had forgotten about it.

Edit: I meant this to be a response to Michael's other post. "by the way - if you are skeptical that version changes might be the cause...

see this previous discussion item;

Links move with InDesign CS4 6.0.5 update"

Al

Last edited:
When updating in InDesign, do you have "show import options" checked? If so, uncheck it and try to update it.

Is the file an AI, PDF or an EPS? (What version before, what version after?) Do you get any font warnings etc? You cannot clean up any scraps of information around the edges without changing the size. Some PDF settings will affect the page size.
Also if you are If you look in InDesign and select the object (not the frame) does the % size read the same? Is there any auto-fitting going on?

AI files are really PDF files to Indesign. Place the file with "import options" checked, then crop to the crop box. You can probably then update it without it moving, since it won't be looking at the art bounding box (which is subject to change) anymore. This doesn't, however, help you keep it in the same position when you've already placed it without that option. To do that, select all in Illustrator before editing, note the X, Y, width and height coordinates, and make sure they are still the same before saving.

Thank You for all the suggestions as you all know trying to change how the customer prepares files is impossible. Keep in mind that this is a InDesign doc
CS4 or CS5 that has a Dieline placed in it by the customer which is a Illustrator
file. I can not tell you if it is a AI or EPS. What I am hearing is if it was originaly
a AI file and I make a Change and save as a EPS It may move or change size
Why?

AI files and EPS files use different methods of defining their bounding boxes. If the bounding box changes, specially the X1, Y1 coordinate, the updates image in the page layout app will change.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back