Ilumina feed roller smudging...

When I back a job up using the MPTray, the top feed roller will leave a smudge mark. Its from the first roller on the top. It happenes when the first sheet feeds all the way into the printer and it starts to feed the second sheet.

It seems to only be really noticeable when I'm running 11x17 or 12x18. Letter size and smaller it leaves just a little but nothing you will really notice unless looking for it. Most likely because there's more friction in the longer sheets.

I have tried taking the roller off and cleaning it with alcohol and also with soap and a brush, but neither made much of a difference.

Is there anything I should try to fix it, or should I just order a new feed roller assembly?
Why would the front be fine, but the back smudge?

I've attached a pic I took with my phone. This is the worst of the smudging, most of it isn't this bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20100908_094810.jpg
    IMG_20100908_094810.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 161
Used to get the same on my OKI before it was sent back (same engine as Illumina). It only happened when running the second side through the bypass feeder. It was not actually the roller doing the marking, but is rub off from the sheet it is feeding. First sheet is fine, but as the first sheet is fed in, the roller causes the toner on the bottom of the feed sheet to create a smudge on the next sheet, so it looks like it is the roller making the mark, but it is actually the previous sheet. Therefore cleaning rollers or replacing will not help. Only way to avoid this is to avoid heavy coverage on the lead edge. Just one of the reasons I have switched to a Xerox.

Of course, this may not be what is causing your problem, but it looks the same to me.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back