Image shift Versant 80 / Fiery Work Station

xcelprint

Have you experienced this issue on Versant 80 / Fiery Work Station?

When shifting the image to line up the front and back sides, under the Finishing Tab, select Image Shift box...

It seems simple enough to shift up, down, left or right so the images line up front to back but I usually end up guessing and running 2-5 test prints to finally get it right. Seems like it should be easier to do.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Neal

Part of the trouble may be that the 0,0 or x,y starting point may not be the same for every file. Sometimes upper left, sometimes lower left etc. Landscape vs portrait further complicates things.

I've suggested to EFI many times that what they should do is provide a thumbnail of the image you are shifting so that you can see if it's going in right direction at least.

Oce's Prisma Production server had a feature called 'Recto-Verso' that would show the front image superimposed onto the back image, front in black and back in blue in reverse so that you could at least get the alignment close prior to printing a proof.

It's probably not that EFI isn't capable or willing to include such a feature, it's more a matter of whether or not a given printer manufacturer is willing to pay for it.

Have you experienced this issue on Versant 80 / Fiery Work Station?

When shifting the image to line up the front and back sides, under the Finishing Tab, select Image Shift box...

It seems simple enough to shift up, down, left or right so the images line up front to back but I usually end up guessing and running 2-5 test prints to finally get it right. Seems like it should be easier to do.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Neal

The trick I use to shift on Fiery is that you click your job, and see the preview thumbnail on the screen. Then, your X/Y axis adjustments should be based on the preview. Not based on how it comes out of the printer/etc..

Yes, adjustment parameter can change based on whatever the orientation of the file is...not sure why EFI left it this way. I don't remember our old Creo/DocuSP workstations being like this. So I would try the preview trick and see if that works.

Sometimes operators get caught up trying to shift both sides at the same time. I think its easier to just pick one side and shift that, unless both side adjustments are necessary. Depends on the job, of course.

If the preview doesn't show up in Command workstation right away, process and hold from the print tab, moving it back into the hold tab, then preview trick mentioned above will work for the x,y axis.

The trick I use to shift on Fiery is that you click your job, and see the preview thumbnail on the screen. Then, your X/Y axis adjustments should be based on the preview. Not based on how it comes out of the printer/etc..

Yes, adjustment parameter can change based on whatever the orientation of the file is...not sure why EFI left it this way. I don't remember our old Creo/DocuSP workstations being like this. So I would try the preview trick and see if that works.

Sometimes operators get caught up trying to shift both sides at the same time. I think its easier to just pick one side and shift that, unless both side adjustments are necessary. Depends on the job, of course.

This.

It is very simple. In Command Workstation you see a preview. That is the guide. Up down left right is what you see in the preview window. It is just that simple. I use it all the time and works.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 1.19.37 PM by B P, on Flickr

My Command Workstation does not look like the screenshot you provided...
but I tried orienting the sheet as it is on the preview and yes that is the tip I needed.
Thanks.

My Command Workstation does not look like the screenshot you provided...
but I tried orienting the sheet as it is on the preview and yes that is the tip I needed.
Thanks.

You probably have an older version of Command Workstation, it is the same thing though:
40173065740_1c79aca822_b.jpg

I am running the latest update. Not a huge fan of it and only run it on my Mac, have not bothered to update any other computers with Command Workstation. It seems to be all eye candy and no real substance other then making you look around more for the things you used to do.

You probably have an older version of Command Workstation, it is the same thing though:

I am running the latest update. Not a huge fan of it and only run it on my Mac, have not bothered to update any other computers with Command Workstation. It seems to be all eye candy and no real substance other then making you look around more for the things you used to do.

The biggest pain in the ass is that the "logs" function RELOADS every time you open it. With the old version you can open it when you start the machine up and it's ready to roll the entire time. It usually takes 5-10 minutes to load all of the jobs, so it's kind of a useless function in the new version.

very few of my files show a preview, I get the "preview not available" notice where your preview is. I'm on fiery 5.3... I drag most of my jobs into the fiery from our server once the job is approved, should i be loading them some other way?. Most are in pdf format prepared by the customer or my pre-press people.

You need to select the process and hold function to get a preview. It's pretty low resolution but sometimes you can detect artifacts created by the RIP. I only send through things once I take a peek at the preview.

LOL yeah I never update CW. Once we found a stable version without stupid glitches, just stick with it. EFI seems to spend all of their resources playing with flashy things, but if they aren't going to add any substance I would assume save the update/potential file incompatibility headaches and leave it where its at.

process and hold in the held file first .. excellent Thank you!

definitely have to process and hold. I am used to doing it that way. Drag and drop my PDF in CW then apply my settings, process and hold. Once that is done I print my first one, check it out, adjust for alignment if needed and then enter my total and run the whole job.

Yeah definitely use the preview, thats how I view my work to adjust it. The other thing I do, it's personal preference, but I only move the back, if possible, that way i'm not moving the side thats facing up when it gets trimmed.

Yes, I am finding I do not know as much about this machine as I thought I knew. What is tray alignment? I will look at the manual.

I use the SIQA adjustment, which combines the scanner and a piece of software on the Fiery. It is accessed under the Tools - Maintenance menu (requires admin login...password probably is admin unless you've changed it). Install the SIQA software on the Fiery first as there are a couple things you will have to print out to perform the adjustment. Then run through the "semi automated alignment process using scanner," then open the SIQA utility on the Fiery and apply the scans. It is a little tricky at first, but I believe the process is all outlined in the manual and online if you do some digging. However works very well.

I generally do not use the tray alignment function built into Command Workstation.

I use the SIQA adjustment, which combines the scanner and a piece of software on the Fiery. It is accessed under the Tools - Maintenance menu (requires admin login...password probably is admin unless you've changed it). Install the SIQA software on the Fiery first as there are a couple things you will have to print out to perform the adjustment. Then run through the "semi automated alignment process using scanner," then open the SIQA utility on the Fiery and apply the scans. It is a little tricky at first, but I believe the process is all outlined in the manual and online if you do some digging. However works very well.

I generally do not use the tray alignment function built into Command Workstation.

I agree with using the Print Engine to set paper/tray alignment per paper would be the way to go. I suppose some printers are still not capable of a alignment settings for each paper like what is available on the Versant 2100, Digital Press 800/1000. I know years ago the custom paper setting were rather limited in the Xerox 700 and earlier series. But, if your print engine is capable that would be the best way to do it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back