Image viewed on Mac and PC different

tambo

I have a PDF with images on it and an area with a black screen. I send the PDF through Rampage. When I view the ripped PDF on a MAC, the black screen is a black screen. When I view the same ripped PDF on a PC, the black screen is in 4-colour process. :confused:
We checked the Adobe Acrabat settings on the MAC and the PC and they are the same.
Anyone have any ideas?
Tambo

I have a PDF with images on it and an area with a black screen. I send the PDF through Rampage. When I view the ripped PDF on a MAC, the black screen is a black screen. When I view the same ripped PDF on a PC, the black screen is in 4-colour process. :confused:
We checked the Adobe Acrabat settings on the MAC and the PC and they are the same.
Anyone have any ideas?
Tambo

What format are your images within the PDF?

As a workaround - could you open your PDF in Photoshop and flatten the image in hi-res and resave as a PDF.

Does that work for you?

Check in output preview that you are not forcing a convetsion preview by selecting a different output profile.

Stephen Marsh

Anyone have any ideas?
Tambo

What do acrobat settings have to do with a PDF ripped through Rampage?--on either MAC or PC you should be viewing the ripped PDF through the 'Rampage client monitor proof'--on either computer you should be viewing the exact same file that is on your server--any other method of viewing the PDF makes no sense

"makes no sense"? Why? It's a PDF file - cross platform and independent. It's not a closed format. What special voodoo does the Rampage client monitor proof do?

"makes no sense"? Why? It's a PDF file - cross platform and independent. It's not a closed format. What special voodoo does the Rampage client monitor proof do?

true that PDF is not a closed format--but a 'Rampage' ripped file is a proprietary format!

Last edited:
Do you mean that the PDF file generated by Rampage contains non-standard objects? I don't believe so, otherwise Acrobat would report the file as invalid. The OP opens the file in Acrobat fine - it's just the black that's different.

To the OP - pure black that's converted to CMYK always means that a color management engine is the culprit. I second Stephan Marsh's advice.

I should have been clearer--a rampage ripped file--when viewed through the 'rampage' client (monitor proof) should be identical on any platform--the only reason I can see that the file would appear different is IF the OPs viewed PDF is made using the rampage 'proof pdf' setting from within the client and the settings for 'that' are different on each of the machines...or if the OP is viewing a 'Rampage Remote' generated PDF (which is an 'image' of the ripped file) and the download setting are different in the export/download function of Rampage Remote.

Last edited:
Check to see if your Rampage TrapIt color matching preferences are set the same on both computers.

The client only runs on a Mac... if you are viewing the monitor proof of the ripped data... you are not on a PC. If it is a proof PDF the file should be the same for either platform... it's a classic case of it is what it is.

Thanks for all the response. I will look into the output preview. One note to add, our Macs sent files to platesetter for litho and screen prints black only. The PC sends file to digital press and it prints a 4-colour screen. Even if I send file to digital press via the Mac, the digital server client is a PC, so it doesn't help.
Tambo.

Ia m a bit confused how is the PC sending to digital files via RAMPage? I think you are sending the client PDF through 2 different workflows are you not? If you are RAMPage maybe converting the RGB black into K only

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back