Improving PDF printing speed...

kdw75

I am printing customer supplied PDF files to our Xerox 7556, with an internal controller, and the files are taking a long time. I found that using the fixup "discard hidden layers and flatten visible layers" sped things up noticeably. Are there any other tips or tricks I might try to get our printer running faster? Would getting the Fiery RIP offered for this printer make a big difference in speed?

Don't know much about the 7556, but, I would think adding the Fiery RIP would speed it up. A RIP's job (whether it's a Fiery, or not) is described as "R-O-U-M" ("RIP Once, Use Many"). Without a RIP, images are re-generated for each page. With a RIP, those images are only generated once, stored, and then re-called as needed for each page.

Getting a separate rip will speed things up. Make sure you have the latest software on the 7556 which I think is .32600. You need the tech to put it on as its not on the xerox site.

How do you input the files into the Xerox? Do you drop PDF files into an input folder? Do you open up the PDF files and then print them to the Xerox?

When you open up the PDF in Acrobat, under file/properties/description - what is the application and pdf producer and pdf version? Does the document contain transparency?

Acrobat Pro / Print Production/ PDF Optimizer has many options for you to additionally explore.

Stephen Marsh

We are sending the files over GB ethernet. The sending machine has an Intel 3820 CPU with 32GB of RAM and an SSD. We are printing the files out of InDesign CS6. I have also tried exporting them to a PDF and running them from Acrobat Pro XI.

The supplied files are PDFs that I place into InDesign to data merge the variable data into. After that I impose it with a plugin.

The document contains lots of transparencies.

I will check and see what Acrobat says about the PDF originator.

I will check and see what software our printer has. It was brand new and just installed last week.

The problem is you are sending the static data for each record in the data merge. So if you had a 10 megabit image as a static background, the file size going to the printer is multiplied by the number of records in the data merge. Try flattening the file to a 300dpi tif to get rid of the transparencies too.

If you had an external EFI RIP you could create a master page(s) that would only RIP one time and then the data would be "merged" on the RIP which is MUCH faster.

Good Luck!!

I talked to our Xerox guy and he said that the external RIP would cost us in the ballpark of $10K he thought. I would have thought that the built in controller would be smart enough not to re-RIP the same data. Shouldn't it be caching it?

Our Harlequin RIP that is a decade old and running on an old G3 Mac caches images that are re-used. Does the "built-in RIP", as Xerox calls it, has not even match up to that?

Our Xerox re-seller, who again isn't too familiar with RIPs said he thought we couldn't ad the RIP since we are on PagePack. Does that sound right??

Are all Fiery RIPs compatible with our Xerox or does it take a specific one? I am thinking we might be able to find a used one if they aren't unique to each machine model.

Last edited:
Is your ethernet connection type set to auto? Fiery RIPs are unique to each model. Make sure you have that version sw or higher that I mentioned earlier. Have a Xerox analyst come out to look at your net/driver/machine settings.

kdw75,

Xerox generally do not allow resellers to add a Fiery RIP to a pagepack device that was originally signed up without one. That is probably why your reseller is reluctant to talk about adding one.

To get the best speed out of the device you will need to look at the PDF settings (as you already have) and the settings in the printer driver. You will get the best quality with a PS driver, but you could look at using the pcl6 or xps drivers if quality is not paramount.

Whic of the 3 quality settings you use within the PS driver will make a big difference, only the high res setting uses the full resolution of the printer and is much slower than the standard setting. There are also settings for controlling the PostScript data in the advanced tab that can have a bearing on RIP speed.

The sort of work you describe would certainly benefit from a Fiery, the embedded Xerox RIP is designed mainly for general office use not graphic arts applications like VDP printing. There is a feature on the Fiery called freeform that would help with your workflow (i believe this was mentioned above). With Freeform you split the job into the static and variable elements and send them separately, allowing the rip to hold the ripped static data and then quickly process the variable.

The question is whether or not the time you would save can justify the high price for adding a Fiery.

kdw75,

Xerox generally do not allow resellers to add a Fiery RIP to a pagepack device that was originally signed up without one. That is probably why your reseller is reluctant to talk about adding one.

To get the best speed out of the device you will need to look at the PDF settings (as you already have) and the settings in the printer driver. You will get the best quality with a PS driver, but you could look at using the pcl6 or xps drivers if quality is not paramount.

Whic of the 3 quality settings you use within the PS driver will make a big difference, only the high res setting uses the full resolution of the printer and is much slower than the standard setting. There are also settings for controlling the PostScript data in the advanced tab that can have a bearing on RIP speed.

The sort of work you describe would certainly benefit from a Fiery, the embedded Xerox RIP is designed mainly for general office use not graphic arts applications like VDP printing. There is a feature on the Fiery called freeform that would help with your workflow (i believe this was mentioned above). With Freeform you split the job into the static and variable elements and send them separately, allowing the rip to hold the ripped static data and then quickly process the variable.

The question is whether or not the time you would save can justify the high price for adding a Fiery.

We are a very small family shop so money is tight. We just installed this printer 7 days ago and we can get by with it. I am for certain though going to get a RIP on our next machine. We originally thought we would only do around 10K clicks a month on this machine when we bought it. After 7 days it has 16K on it! I am just kicking myself for not looking into the RIP option before. I assumed that this machines built in RIP, being that it's 2013 and super fast CPUs are cheap, would be able to handle anything we threw at it. I remember back in 1990 when we got our first Linotronic how shocked I was that our RIP, which cost 10s of thousands of dollars, used older and slower CPUs than desktop computers.

We are using the standard quality setting. On the slow PDFs I was able to get the delay between sheets down to around 4-5 seconds after trying to optimize the PDF.

Last edited:
Yes the RIPS are not as "robust" as the desktop you can get at the box store... but when it comes to certain things you will find yourself doing they are worth their weight in gold. I would NEVER get a digital production device without a RIP, it is money well spent.

Check deep in your driver settings and see if there is master, or overlay settings for your static images- you might luck out.

BTW the RIP for a Xerox 8080 is around $75,000.00 US.

Is your ethernet connection type set to auto? Fiery RIPs are unique to each model. Make sure you have that version sw or higher that I mentioned earlier. Have a Xerox analyst come out to look at your net/driver/machine settings.

You mentioned that I should make sure our 7556 has the latest software version. On the printer's configuration page under System Software it is showing version 061.121.222.06507. Is that the software you are referring to? It also lists software versions for Postscript, Network Controller, User Interface, Marking Engine and so on and so on.....So I wasn't sure which one to check the version of.

You mentioned that I should make sure our 7556 has the latest software version. On the printer's configuration page under System Software it is showing version 061.121.222.06507. Is that the software you are referring to? It also lists software versions for Postscript, Network Controller, User Interface, Marking Engine and so on and so on.....So I wasn't sure which one to check the version of.

Yes the system software. Have them put the latest on .32600 which is the ending number.

We had a tech come out to center the image on our machine. I asked him about the update and he said that as far as he knew we had the newest software. He said that what he had was the same version. Never heard of the .32600.

The problem is you are sending the static data for each record in the data merge. So if you had a 10 megabit image as a static background, the file size going to the printer is multiplied by the number of records in the data merge. Try flattening the file to a 300dpi tif to get rid of the transparencies too.

If you had an external EFI RIP you could create a master page(s) that would only RIP one time and then the data would be "merged" on the RIP which is MUCH faster.

Good Luck!!

what if its a 2 sided document and variable on one side only?
do you make the 2 sided document the master and then marry the separate data file one sided to the 2 sided master?

I still can't understand why any printer made wouldn't have the ability to keep the static image in memory. And for a machine of this price not to have it is really amazing to me.

Looking at the external RIPs I can't figure out why they cost so much. The hardware is pretty outdated and the software isn't anything spectacular. It seems like Xerox, being a large corporation, would have the resources to build their own decent controller and sell it for a couple grand with state of the art technology. If they did this they could make a fortune by selling it to so many more people.

"....It seems like Xerox, being a large corporation, would have the resources to build their own decent controller and sell it for a couple grand with state of the art technology. If they did this they could make a fortune by selling it to so many more people...."

They do. They call it a DocuSP RIP. Had one once. Didn't like it. Too slow, not powerful enough, and the GUI leaves a lot to be desired. Once you've used a Fiery and their Command Work Station interface, nothing else will do.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back