Indd. 5.5 lost color swatches

rande

Any reason that all of a sudden I would lose those. I've tried restarting software, computer, adding swatches. Opening and closing windows?
What would affect that?
any ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
Have you tried deleting your Preferences? I would just move them to the desktop, in case it doesn't fix it you can just move them back.

On a Mac, they are in MacintoshHD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences.

I'm looking at that now. Is it the pList? I don't want to mess up the others. I'm guessing Indd 5.5 is 7.5 and Indd 6 is 7.5.3?

No, there should be a folder in there called "Adobe InDesign", and inside there you'll see subfolders for whatever versions you might have installed.

So, if that didn't work you can just put your prefs back so you don't lose however you've set things up.

Are the swatches gone for one document, or every document? What about when you create a new document? Is the Swatches palette still visible and it's just empty?

Just trying to get a better grasp on the symptoms. The more details you can provide, the better.

Just to clarify - you quit ID, removed the prefs, then launched ID again, and it didn't work?

Yes. The ink manager in the swatch palette works, if that tells you anything. I'm trying to get a job out and needed to convert pantones.

Are you sure you're looking at Swatches, and not Separations Preview?

The reason I ask is if you had spot colors showing up in the Separations, then went into Ink Manager and converted them to process, they would disappear from your Separations list because you would now only be using CMYK.

Last edited:
Can you post a screenshot?

You can probably still get the job out even if you can't see the swatches. Export a PDF and see if it looks okay. If so, send it.

Again, is it just this one file or any file, including a new one, that exhibits the behavior? Have you deleted any fonts recently that maybe ID needs to render the palettes? Just spitballin' at this point.

Not as of now. I might have some if I can either see the problem or get answers to the other questions asked.

Sorry I didn't see this post. I don't know what you want me to snapshot. It's an empty window. I need to go thru "colors" to color any thing. Can't add to the swatches. If I open a new window same thing, no colors. Haven't messed with any fonts. I can open a new doc in 4 and 6 and it works fine.

rande, is this for 1 document, or for all documents?

As DCurry asked, if you open a new document, can you add swatches?

Not sure what Adobe was thinking with "ID five and a half" but if your transparency effects are working no problem between 4 and 6 and kerning and tracking of text translates without re-flow, then you're golden. ID does that. Certain other DTP products "which shall remain un-named" cannot say that. I'd still like to see a screen-shot (app opened to a document with all tools/pallettes/functions visible).

I tried that site before I posted. None of that worked. I'm new to this shop and re-enstalling makes me nervous but I might need to do that. This Indd has scripts and plugins that are used regularly. Its been a while but I could probly work my way thru the scripts and plugin etc. but might take time and I'll be down until I do.
Know other tricks? That seems to be the only window affected.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back