Independent Colour in PDF

GregB

We have an agency who supplies our Newspaper with complete PDF's for their client. Since they have upgraded from CS3 to CS5.5, our preflight picks up Independent Colour (Examiner Preflight Results.jpg) in their images. If this isn't corrected (I use Acrobat 8 Convert Colours, see Convert Colours Fix.jpg), Prinergy Evo strips out of the colours, leaving them very pale and an unhappy Ad Manager.

Can anyone let me know if it is something their end with the way pics are saved in Photoshop CS5.5 or anything in the attached settings.

Thanks

Attachments

• 5146 Carmart Dport 10x7 ADV_7Dec.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 211
  • Convert Colours Fix.jpg
    Convert Colours Fix.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Examiner Preflight Results.jpg
    Examiner Preflight Results.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Examiner settings.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 203
I have not had a great deal of time to look into this, however:

* What are the exact PDF export settings out of InDesign? Would using PDF/X 1a help (simply supply untagged/deviceCMYK)?
* If not exporting via X1a, would turning off profile embedding help (simply supply untagged/deviceCMYK)?
* What are the Prinergy Evo settings in regards to images with embedded CMYK profiles?

P.S. Perhaps have a look at the Ghent Workgroup site for InDesign export settings and Acrobat preflight profiles for newsprint.

GWG | Application Settings | Application Settings

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Hi GregB,

Just curious - is the ad manager complaining about the color onscreen or proofs and printouts? From what I can see, the file seems ok. I agree with Stephen's comments about adopting PDF/X-1a as a standard file format or looking at the GWG.

You mentioned Prinergy strips out color profiles and in your Acrobat conversion settings, you're not embedding profiles. I'd also double-check how Prinergy is handling tagged images.

Greg

Hi Greg

Try this file, I have removed the ICC Tag in the images.

Attachments

• 5146 Carmart Dport 10x7 ADV_7Dec-No-ICC.pdf
    657.3 KB · Views: 230
Hi Greg

Try this file, I have removed the ICC Tag in the images.

That is what I was pointing out - an untagged image does not trigger this preflight error. That being said, I am not sure how Prinergy Evo is setup, it sounds like it does something weird if there is a tagged image...

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen. The designer at the agency has done the same at their end and selected Don't Include Profiles from ID.

What I can't work out is why this started with their upgrade to 5.5?

Thanks all for your help. I'm chasing up Prinergy settings.

Cheers

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back