InDesign Error- You may not have permission....

prepress cindy

The whole error is: The file could not be opened. You may not have permission or the file may be in use by another application.
This occurs randomly when trying to place a pdf in InDesign. The workaround has been opening the InDesign file on our PC and placing it there. Working off the server in both instances. We have tried working off the desktop and that has not fixed the problem. Maybe a server issue, maybe InDesign, maybe MAC. Has anyone else encountered this?

I've seen this a few times. Try resetting your InDesign preferences:
To reset the prefs on a Mac:
You'll need two hands. It's a one-two punch...

1. Quit InDesign
2. Get ready to press (but DON'T press yet): Command-Option-Control-Shift.
(Yes, all 4 buttons. Basically, make a fist out of your left hand and hover over the lower left corner of your keyboard.)
3. Launch InDesign, and about a half-second later, press and HOLD those four keys until you see a "do you want to delete the prefs?" alert. Then you can release the keys. (If you don't see alert, you weren't fast enough; try again)
4. This puts you back to factory settings, including picas, and deletes any print or PDF presets you have. If those are crucial, save them out as files before you do this.

On Windows, it's the same approach, but you only need Control-Alt-Shift.

Hope this helps!

--Claudia McCue
-Real World Print Production with Adobe Creative Suite Applications (Peachpit Press, 2009)
-Acrobat X–Creating Forms (Lynda.com, 2012)
-Up & Running with Acrobat XI Pro (Lynda.com, 2012)
-Print Production Fundamentals (Lynda.com, 2012)
===================================
Practicalia, LLC
Practicalia
Blog: Graphic Arts Training for Professionals

I've been had this same thing going on for over a year and am also looking for an answer. The odd thing is I'm the only one using the file and all I have to do is cancel and Import again and it finds it. That seems messed up to me.

This happens to me on occasion. Be sure when you are placing the document that there is a check mark in the "Show Import Options". I never have that issue when that box is checked.
Good Luck
Angela

I alway do because I'm usually placing multiple page files. I just seems weird that all I have to do is cancel and do the exact same thing and it works.

This happens to me on occasion. Be sure when you are placing the document that there is a check mark in the "Show Import Options". I never have that issue when that box is checked.
Good Luck
Angela

I've found that it has to do with InDesign's "Background Task" function. Long after the PDF is complete indesign is still running a background task on it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back