InDesign file naming

ChrisL

I am stumped! I have a problem with InDesign remembering – incorrectly – a file name when I use a print preset to create postscript files.

I think it remembers whatever you named it last time, so if you change it it should hold for next time.

You could also try exporting to .idml and the reopen it - that might strip out that kind of info.

InDesign file naming

Thanks for replying. InDesign is remembering the same file name for any document when printing.

So no matter what your InDesign file is called, it names the .ps something else completely? For instance, the .ps is named "brochure.ps" (or whatever) every time, no matter what document you are printing?

I haven't seen that before, though it's been years since I printed to a PostScript file.

I just did an experiment where I created a Print Preset that creates a PostScript file (device independent), then used it to create .ps files from 2 different ID documents and it named them accurately "filename.indd.ps".

I didn't do a very good job of explaining the problem. When printing with or without a preset, I have to retype the name of the document I'm working on in the save as field. The same job name is in this field for every job I work on. In the past the name of the document your working on would be in this field. Minor inconvenience, but I'm sure it could be fixed

Adobe has blown it on this one.
Easiest way to do what you want is:
say print
then
Default folder
to the InDy file
click the name of the file
and then
change the extension to ps
then say print.

Sounds like a pain
but is really fast.

MSD

What wharfRat said…*that what I do, only NEVER forget to change the extension (or delete it) or you end up replacing your original file :p

This is what I do.
I print a laser of the indd file - I can always cancel the print in my print manager, but most of the time I need a laserprint anyway - and then print it as ps. This way the right filename should pop up.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back