InDesign HR Layered PDF & editable AI file?

Two part question:
Does anyone know how to create a HR Layered PDF from InDesign CS4? I can make a "smallest file size" PDF and it gives me the option for layers, but the other presets gray this option out.

Also, they are asking that it be editable in Illustrator. In a PressQuality PDF the type looks fine, but you can't select the text as a continuous text strand. It has slices it up into maybe ten word text strands. I've also tried printing to PS and opening that into Illustrator, but I get the same results.

Anyone have suggestions? Trying to avoid building pages in Illustrator.

Thanks in advance!

Who is they?

Why do they need it be editable in Illustrator?

Illustrator is not a PDF editor, no matter what anyone says. Yes, it can open PDF's but the documents integrity is lost. Meaning some items might not look the same as you want them too.

Sorry, "they" are the web-tech bunch that are creating a scenario where a client can build their own ads. Not really sure why it has to be editable either, since you can edit text in Acrobat Pro. Their main request is to have a HR Layered PDF. I don't see where you can do that in InDesign. It only gives me the option to do a LR layered PDF. The retail-side of our business does everything in Illustrator, and they say that you can embed images and make a layered PDF from there, but everything that I have is done is in InDesign. So, my goal is to make a HR Layered PDF. I was just hoping I was overlooking something, and ID can actually make a HR Layered PDF, that would make this project alot more palatable.

Indesign will allow you to hold layers when you make a PDF if you use Acrobat 6 format or later. So you'll need to edit your PDF Presets, choose PDF Presets from the file menu and pick define. Then pick one of the hi-res settings to start from and click on New.

In the New PDF Preset window that pops up, change the compatibility in the General tab to Acrobat 6, then you'll have the option of checking the "Create Acrobat Layers" checkbox. Save this setting with a new name. Now to create your layered PDF just pick this setting when exporting the PDF.

Shawn

Your Web-Tech group might need an Illustrator file if they are using a Web to Print application like PageDNA.

Another option for you is to copy all of the elements from InDesign and then Paste them into Illustrator.

I don't think your "web-tech" group can have what they want on this one. Think of PDF as meaning PrettyDarned Final. You're not supposed to go editing the thing. Perhaps it would be better to have Illustrator files and a central font server. You can embed everything for output (including fonts) in an Illustrator file. But without the fonts loaded on your system you can't edit the type.

Last edited:
There are solutions to make what your web tech team is asking usually involving a kit with an InDesign pluggin and a corresponding Acrobat pluggin. We had a webb project like that but be warned it is not as easy as the web-devs think, and all the savings by not buying a solution are eaten up by hidden costs.

If you use a PDF format that has live transparency that is usually what you need. You will not be able to set flattening to HR, because it is inappropriate.

Thanks everyone for your input! Shawn your solution worked as far as the layered pdf, so thanks! I'm still struggling with the type going into illustrator. They have to replace the text anyway, so I'm not real clear why they have to edit it. I sent the layered PDF to them to see if it will work. I put the text on a separate layer, so it is easily removed. They have asked for all of the fonts to be given as TTF format, and that has already been done. So, from what I understood, the web-folk will box the copy in, so that the vendor can enlarge or reduce their copy. It is called AdBuilder. We supply a large ad and the vendor can go to a site, pick the ad, choose the size (which is proportional to what we give them), and they can make limited changes to copy. All new to me, but apparently our client is sold on this. I do fear, it will be more complex then they are stating, but I'm not driving that boat, so I just have to make it work somehow.
As far as Illustrator splicing my type, I did tried to copy/paste from ID to AI, with no luck. Thought there might be a preference that determined how much type, before it started to splice, but I didn't see anything. Might not be using the right terminology, splicing or tiling, not sure. If anyone runs across a solution to this aspect, I would appreciate the input.
Thanks again all!

As far as Illustrator splicing my type, I did tried to copy/paste from ID to AI, with no luck. Thought there might be a preference that determined how much type, before it started to splice, but I didn't see anything. Might not be using the right terminology, splicing or tiling, not sure. If anyone runs across a solution to this aspect, I would appreciate the input.

Here is an Illustrator javascript that will recombine the type into a single text block. It won't hold the exact formatting but it's a start.
wundes.com

Shawn

I get to alter a lot of .pdf's that come from adbuilder sites and I can tell you their not layered when pulled into Illustrator.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back