InDesign PDF's with right pages either in lowres or on end

sigurarm

Hi. I am new here. I found this great forum when I noticed that many visitors came to my little site (http://font.is/?p=38) via link here. Thanks for letting me join.

I want to hear if anyone could come up with an idea what might be happening sometimes to pdf's from InDesign CS3. This is happening to more than three other ad agencies here in Iceland but I don't find anything about this online. Possibly I don't have the right words to search. So here it goes:

Sometimes when outputting InDesign multipage (4 or more pages) pdf's with placed eps pictures over the spread some of the right pages are with lowres pictures, or the right half of the picture is upside-down. When same job is outputted many times, pages are randomly lowres or upside-down.

• This happens only when the file and the pictures are on a server. Not if work is done on a local machine.
• Does not happen if the pictures are in tiff format and not if psd format is used.
• This started with Leopard (mac).

Everything about the macs are standard, latest versions of CS3 and System, Tiger and/or Leopard servers. Font cache cleaned (it seemed at a time to solve individual cases). Also, some files One really annoying thing is that this can hurt old files too so people don't notice this because they might have been just correcting on page 3 and the problem happens on page 31.

Now, does anyone know this kind of a problem, know a solution to it or have a clue what might be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Re: InDesign PDF's with right pages either in lowres or on end

Apple just released OS 10.5.4 _today_ which fixes some CS3 problems when working from a server. I'd try to get that update installed and see if it helps.

I'm not sure if you'll like this solution but we have had problems when relinking to multiple page pdfs due to links lost when recalling archived files; that the relink puts page one of the pdf in each location which can be missed and sometimes will rotate it too.
Our answer was to use Arts Split/Merge to divide the pdf into numgered singles; then the problem went away because each uniquely numbered pdf became a separate link. Urgh!

John W

Very interesting. I am going to try it as a workaround next time we have this problem.

Also interesting to see if this latest System update will cure anything.

I talked to few of the designers who have had this problem. In all of the cases they had this problem they were working on files that others had originally made. Some designers never have this problem and I suspect that it is because they are always working for the same clients and usually make their brochure from scratch.

At least we have something to investigate further and hopefully see an Apple/Adobe solution soon.

Btw.: Have you seen any talk about this online that you could point to?

Regards and thanks for the help so far,

I upgraded from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 and it fixed the photoshop saving problem. I can now do a save. This has helped our workflow which we have automated scripts that include saving photoshop files.

try upgrading first

Most of the macs are now at 10.5.4.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am leaving for a vacation for three weeks and will check the situation after that and come back and report.

See you later.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back