Ink Presetting Systems

HKafeman

I have some questions to all printers and suppliers for which I would be interested to hear any answers and experiences.

Does your press system record ink preset settings?
I.e. The ink key positions, ink rail nozzle settings, etc. calculated from the ink coverage values sent from pre-press.

Does it record the ink final settings when the printers have achieved good copy and/or at the end of the print run?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then do you have any tools to compare the two sets of settings to hence show how well the calculations from the ink coverage values are being done?

Note that I first posted this question on the "Press Technology" "Sheet/Web Offset" Forum but got little response, so I am trying again on this Forum.

Thanks
Henry

What is the question? Ink Presetting Systems do we have them?

What is the question? Ink Presetting Systems do we have them?

Do you want a yes or no answer?
Hard to find what information you are looking for. We have an Agfa Apogee system, wich creates the ink coverage files. A RYOBI press with an InkDrive to set the keys. It works great. Had some issues that it seemed the curves were both too high and to low, but found that it was the ink knife that was not parallell to the rollers.
We have some kind of AI in the press the position of the valves is plotted against the curves and so the curves can be fine tuned. Thaere can be other factors that make a generic curve in need of adjustment, but we find that being diciplined in only adjusting the curves and not doing manual tweaks is the way to perfect curves.

I have not seen that we get statistics, but haven't looked for it either.

Re: What is the question? Ink Presetting Systems do we have them?

Lukas

Sorry for not being clear, but I really want as much information as possible about what Systems are used, how they perform and what tools are available to check on the performance.

My first couple of questions were a bit too "closed", but aimed at finding out:

a) What Data Systems record (i.e. preset values, final values and when the "final" values are taken).
b) Whether they make the Data available.
c) Whether the users know that it is available.

Do you know if your "AI" System looks at individual valves, ducts or ink colours?I.e. does it work out separate curve settings for each valve, each duct or just each ink colour?

So does anyone else have any comments/answers?

Thanks
Henry

As far as i know it plotts instances and does not record them as valve specific (hence the problem with a large spread of values when the knife was not parallel)… I am sure there are more advanced systems, (I remember seeing statistical charts when discussing these things at a seminar on ISO 12647)

We can map/plot colours to curves. So we do have different curves per colour. Also we can use curve sets for different ink coverage (of press sheet). Think there are 3- setts of curves/ colour as we have it configured.

The default of the system is to multiply the curves by a % for paper type (coated, semicoated, uncoated, custom) but we mapped to a different curve set for different paper types.

I will follow this thread too (and try to answer specific qstions if you want more info), but don't know that I have anymore to contribute.

OH, I see there is a simillar thread in http://printplanet.com/discuss/thread.jspa?threadID=2958&tstart=0
is there any way to have a thread merge but still visible in two forums?

Edited by: Lukas Engqvist on Aug 4, 2008 4:38 AM

Edited by: Lukas Engqvist on Aug 4, 2008 4:56 AM

Hi
I can't believe people don't know about inking.

Yeah the Ryobi 524hxx and above have IVS. Check it on google .
From the computer it will know how much the ink has to be and once jobs been finished it automatically inks for the next job.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back