Ink/water emulsification

inkinveins

Correct if I am wrong, but isn't there a procedure for testing ink/water compatability, putting ink into a cup filled with fountain solution, mixing it or not mixing it, seeing if it serperates etc. I thought I read somewhere on this forum regarding something along these lines. I know this test would not reflect press conditions ( being static not dynamic ) but it might give some indicators.
Thank you

There are a few methods, static that is. The Kershaw emulsification tester is one that injects fountain solution into a mixing ink dispersion. It will give you a curve for the water take up and a emulsification break poimt which is significant. Correlating this to the lithographic printing press can be done, but takes much study under constant ink take off rates which is difficult to obtain in the real dynamic printing planet. RIT is probably funded amd dedicated for such study. The second method is the Litho Break Tester, a series of pan and rollers that try to mimic the interaction of fount and ink on the press. Not bad if you have the time and expertise in the use of this lab piece. The Duke emulsification tester is a commonly used piece of equipment that when used properly can give you a very good indication of print problems and expected results if used to its maxium capability. Multiple point water pick up percentage results are the most desirable to gain education. Studying up on the Surland curves created by this method is needed. Now what you sir are talking about maybe another test. Taking a Dixie cup full of fountain solution and dropping a micro fraction (trace strand) of ink in should produce a remarkable result. If that strand floats or even better whizzes around like a comet, you have a good ink and fount relationship. If that strand is dead and drops to the bottom of the cup like a whale terd, you may have the potential for incompatability between your ink and fount. This will lead to poor ink and water balance on press. Flucuating densities and running your ink and water abnormally high will be the results seen on press. Always keep your ink and water to a minimun when offsetting. This is often preached but rarely followed. If you can't achieve this, I can tailor an ink to your presses with the proper fountain solution to achieve award winning lithographs. Just ask if you need further assistance. D

Why are you asking about a compatibility testing method? Is it to:

1. Solve a problem you are having on press? If so, describe the problem instead, or
2. Educate yourself on this subject, or
3. Settle a bet you made with some guy at a bar, or
4. Other? (please explain in detail).

Al

As the test was explained to me - fill a glass jar with fountain solution, drop in some ink, cap the jar, shake it up a little.

The ink should break into small globules. If it mixes in like watercolor paints, or the ink doesn't break up at all, then you have a bad ink and fountain solution combination.

I have studied the the Duke water Pick up (the old) emulsification curve in the lab. to see if there is a correlation between that and a printing press. The way an ink is emulsified on press is totally different than the way a Duke Water Pick Up (the old) tester does. I have tested an ink that picked up 100% water on the (old) Duke and ran the ink on press with no problem. There are new lab. equipments out there, including the new Duke that test the viscoelastic properties and rheology of ink (visosity and yield value) as it emulsifies. The ink is emulsified by spraying a mist of fount into it and mixing it under constant shear. This will give the ink formulator an idea how different resins can hold up to different founts. The old Duke test, perhaps, can be used as a QC tool to see if one batch of ink picked up 50% water one day and the next batck picked up 100%water the next time. This is only my finding and hope it doesn't offend anyone. We developed a test procedure called "Litho-Dyna-Test to predict ink water blance when I was working for BASF/Inmont. This is done using a 1 or two color Ryobi or AB Dick press. This test will show the water window of an ink and a press ready fountain solution. The ink key is set where it gives you SWOP of GRAcoL density and the water is increased and print say 100 sheets each at higher water settings. Then you check density variation, scumming or wash out of the image etc. Because this involves your plates and blankets and is a dynamic test, this is so far the best test I have seen that correlates the lab. and pressroom.
George John

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back