Invisibe pdfs???

giant1958

all of a sudden,everytime I make a PDF and try to copy to the server it goes INVISIBLE?

any ideas why????

I've had this problem with Mac OS X 10.11.5 and Windows Server 2008 (not R2). I have not been able to find a fix for it.

all of a sudden,everytime I make a PDF and try to copy to the server it goes INVISIBLE?

any ideas why????

Exactly what do you mean by it goes INVISIBLE? The file is not visible on the server? You open the file and the PDF content is not visible within Acrobat? What?

Sounds like an OS issue, not an “Adobe issue!” There is nothing that is done with Adobe software when you copy a file using operating system file copy resources!

- Dov

Hold on, I was just going to create a topic for this. My configuration and tests are as follows:

Adobe & Microsoft applications installed on Mac OS 10.10.4
Shared network drive installed on what is now a Windows 10 PC (did not experience issue whilst it was Windows 7, was upgraded yesterday)

Tested saving Word documents and TextEdit files to network drive and files are normal
Tested saving Adobe documents (InDesign, Illustrator, etc etc) and files are marked as hidden on network drive, and will not show on Mac until I manually uncheck the hidden property on each file, then it appears unhidden on the PC and appears on the Mac.

I called Microsoft, they told me to call Apple, Apple told me to call Adobe, and Adobe told me that "they do not support networked folders". The issue is obviously with Adobe on this one, but the question is whether or not Adobe will acknowledge this in time or whether I will have to whither away manually unmarking hidden files.

Anyone have any solutions to this? I'm going to try and upgrade to the newest OS X, but doubtful that will change anything. Newest versions of Adobe programs, for what it is worth.

Wait, someone in Adobe support actually said they "do not support networked folders"???
Oh, those crazy kids and their newfangled Networks!
Wow.

I may call back, the person from India did seem a bit disgruntled before I even called. On a side note, they almost always seems like assholes when I call a company that has an Indian call center.

Don't you just love finger pointing wars? I have been caught in the middle of this several times in the past and it sucks when you have to combine the products of several different companies to create a solution and then when something doesn't work, they all say it's the other guys fault. As for your issue, it's not an Apple issue and likely not an Adobe issue. It's more likely something with Windows 10. This probably won't help but a quick Googling and I found this article with some suggestions on how to combat hidden files:

http://windowsreport.com/my-files-fo...ed-windows-10/

I would also suggest that you check the Windows 10 computer for any viruses or other malware and then try temporarily disabling or uninstalling the AntiVirus software to see if perhaps it is somehow interfering with operations. Also ensure that the version of your AntiVirus software is compatible with Windows 10.

Cheers,
pd

Last edited:
Wait, someone in Adobe support actually said they "do not support networked folders"???
Oh, those crazy kids and their newfangled Networks!
Wow.

Just curious, if writing the PDF directly to the networked drive creates a hidden file, then what happens if the PDF is written locally on the Mac and then copied to the exact same network drive location?

Back in the day with Photoshop, a good way to randomly have scrambled images was to read/write directly to a server rather than working locally and shuffling the file around the network using the file system (not sure if this has changed, I personally don’t take the risk).

Stephen Marsh

Found a solution, looks like I just needed to upgrade the computer to OS X El Capitan. Or at least wiping the computer clean and installing El Capitan solved the issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back