Is it wise to consider a second hand UV press ?

ashwini singh

Hi All ,
having run a commercial printing unit , we are considering getting into commercial Uv printing and for that are considering a CD 74-6+LX-F second hand having run 8.5 million impressions.
We have purchased second hand machine in the past and have succesfully run them and are considering the same factors for this purchase as a regular commercial press.
I Know UV technology is different and has its own sets of parameters , can someone guide me what to look for in a second hand UV press ? I know the condition of machine, rollers gripper pads etc will be checked but having little knowledge of UV lamps and dryers is there something we should consider asking the seller ?
Can we easily use the UV press as a commercial 6 color machine machine in case we dont have too many jobs to start with ? is the switch over between UV and commerical complicated and time consuming ?
Having 6 Units can we continue to use CMYK and keep changing the units for an overall balanced wear and tear ?
Apart from the machine purchase are the running costs of the two a lot different ? Do we need to keep a different set of rollers, blamnkets etc for both ?

I was wondering what UV printers considered when they first got from conventional printing to UV

any good articles i can read ?

thanks .. and sorry if the questions sound a bit vague

Congratulations on the possible switch to UV printing. A Heidelberg is a good choice and check that it has IST lamps or lamps that were installed by the factory and not some aftermarket system.
You dont mention the lamp positions on the press, does every unit have an interdeck lamp or do you have a couple of lamps that can be moved to different positions on the press?
Low mileage so should be a good buy. You need to install combo rollers and blankets if you are going to switch back and forth between conventional and UV. Look into running Hybrid UV and not full UV unless you are running non absorbent stock like foil or plastic.
You will need different wash up solvents for blankets and rollers to handle UV and you might need different fountain solution chemistry. If you set the press up to run Hybrid UV you can switch back to conventional fairly quickly. You ink supplier can give you the correct procedure to follow.
UV presses use quite a bit more power and cooling water so make sure your services can handle it.
There are some odours given off by UV inks and coatings so you might need to install some form of air ventilation system or the rest of the factory will start complaining.
Invest in good UV lamps and they will do a good job for you. Get your ink supplier to provide a UV ink/coating cure kit so you can check your curing. If UV does not cure in the half second it gets under the lamps then it will never cure.
Make sure you keep your conventional ink additives like reducer/extender away from UV ink, do not put conventional additives in UV ever.
Your pressman should wear uniforms that do not get taken out of the building, if you wash clothes with UV ink on them at home the wives will go mad.
No need to apply spray powder, no more offsetting, jobs can go to downstream processing faster. I would run just Hybrid UV and not bother with conventional.
Well some info for you to get started sure others have further suggestions.
Use your suppliers to help to they will be the experts.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Thanks a lot for your reply. there were quite a few gaps in my understanding and this conversation gives it a good direction to start from.

As for the press in talk Please find a bit more details on the machine :

Preset Plus Extended Delivery X2
Non Stop delivery
Anti Static Device advanced
Ink Agitators
Air star
Scroll Star
IST Inter Deck Drier- 3 Nos
IST End of press drier
Printing plastics
IR / Hot Air – Not available : you can also buy locally from Baldwin on extra cost.
· All new UV Rollers exchanged
UV lamps- 6 nos.
CPC foil- 5 nos.
CPC Protection Foil- 5 nos

* I am not sure about factory installed UV lamps. Do they matter ? we are getting a warranty for 6 months
* They are 6 UV lamps so i am guessing every unit should have an interdeck lamp..
* I think your point about installing combo rollers and blankets is a valid input , this machine seems to be full UV instead of a hybrid. How does one go about converting to a hybrid press ? is it to complicated and further expenses attached to it ?
Invest in good UV lamps and they will do a good job for you. Get your ink supplier to provide a UV ink/coating cure kit so you can check your curing. If UV does not cure in the half second it gets under the lamps then it will never cure. thanks can you ellaborate a bit more on this ?

No need to apply spray powder, no more offsetting, jobs can go to downstream processing faster. I would run just Hybrid UV and not bother with conventional. Are you suggesting that running a 6 color conventional press makes little sense if you have UV installed, Rather we just print everything in UV? ISnt there a running cost difference , for example electricity is one thing i am sure is consumed a lot along with more expensive inks etc.. ?

Hi, you say you want to switch back and forth between UV and conventional, by the looks of your press configuration you do not have a IR Dryer so you will need to get one one of those installed.
Does the press have a ink roller chiller to maintain roller temperature.
A press set up to run hydrid/conventional inks needs rollers that can handle both types of inks without swelling,From your press description it says you have dedicated UV rollers so if you want to run conventional your rollers will need to be recovered. Blankets that can do the same and press wash that can wash up uv ink. Fountain solution that can run both types of inks without the need to drain and fill everytime you change ink systems.
It looks like you have a factory IST system installed so you have one of the best UV systems around installed.
We run hybrid inks, wet trap them and use an end of print lamp for curing then either waterbase coat or UV coat as required (Packaging operation) We found running too many lamps created too much heat in the press and caused issues and you dont need to run a lamp after every unit.
Are the inks more expensive, yes they are, consult with your ink people and get prices for both types of ink and their availabilty in your area.
I have experience with Sun's Hybrite inks and Flints Gemini inks but most ink suppliers have some form of Hybrid ink I'm sure.
Hope that helps

http://72.52.184.8/~radtecho/pdfs/PrinterGuideHybridInks1.pdf

Last edited:
Yes you reply helps.
Thank you for your thoughts, they have been most valuable.
I am setting up my meeting with the seller and keep everyone posted.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back