ISO 12647-2 certification

ajr

We have customers now asking us if we are ISO 12647-2 certified. I dont know anyone in the UK that is yet. We have have the equipment to measure it and produce proofs can we just blag and say we are or say we run to the standard??

AjR

There is no ISO 12647-2 certification. But if you want your company cedrtified then try FOGRA PSO certification

Some potential customers are asking us if we are certified, I wonder if they dont really know what they are talking about!! LOL

There is no ISO 12647-2 certification. But if you want your company cedrtified then try FOGRA PSO certification

Customers do not like to be jerked around with the semantics of certification vs. registration vs. qualification.
Here is the first line of the fogra description of PSO certification
"Fogra offers every company an opportunity to gain ProcessStandard Offset [PSO] certification based on ISO 12647-2."

They also do not like to be lied to (well, maybe sometimes). I always take the side of caution. If you lie and they ask for your certificate, and you can't produce one, you could be in trouble. If you use Fogra39 or Gracol characterization data for your proofing, and you run to ISO 12647-2 solids, overprints, and dot gains. You could say that you are compliant with the 12647-2 standard, but not certified.

On a slightly related note, why has fogra, or any of the other organizations, not sought accreditation so that they could offer certification to the ISO standard?

Bret

On a slightly related note, why has fogra, or any of the other organizations, not sought accreditation so that they could offer certification to the ISO standard?

Who would the accreditation come from? ISO doesn't do that. accreditation and certification are carried out by third parties.

ISO - Management standards - ISO does not carry out certification

ISO - Management standards - Certification

The links above deal with ISO 9000 and ISO 14000, but I think the premise is valid organization-wide.

National standards bodies have accreditation for ISO 9000 registrars (ANSI/ASQ National Accreditation Board in the US) There should be a mechanism for other standards to have accreditation. I don't think such an organization exists for printing, but it should.

Bret

Well just by following the ISO 12647-2 does not make you a certified printing company. The certification process will involve a process audit conducted on your company by a Fogra certified auditor. This audit is carried out once every 2 years. Bret u are correct in stating that a printer can lie on the certfication well unfortunately it can happen. But for a printing company which wants to ensure its carrying out its process within the process standards and acheiving the required quality standards an audit every two years will certainly be a plus point.

National standards bodies have accreditation for ISO 9000 registrars (ANSI/ASQ National Accreditation Board in the US) There should be a mechanism for other standards to have accreditation. I don't think such an organization exists for printing, but it should.

Precisely. FOGRA would be the most likely candidate to certify 3rd party auditors.

I was thinking that if fogra were accredited by DIN (the closest correlation to ANSI), then the certificates would be on the same weight as ISO 9001 certificates from accredited registrars. Fogra, being the certifying body, could not also be its own accrediting body.

Bret

We have customers now asking us if we are ISO 12647-2 certified. I dont know anyone in the UK that is yet. We have have the equipment to measure it and produce proofs can we just blag and say we are or say we run to the standard??

AjR

I think this article answers you question:
ColourStandards

best, gordon p

I am planning to get certification from Fogra PSO(12647 2).
Can anyone help me to know the procedures for the same and what are the guidelines that should i follow?

AjR
Ajr

Leeds City College might be a good point of contact as they hold a variety of courses on print and colour management within graphic arts.
A couple of years back I decided to attend a course run by the the London College of Communication, I had specific questions on print standards so I sent an e-mail to the tutor prior to the course and he was able to gear the course to answer my queries.
Unfortunately I don't think they run these courses anymore.

Hi,

There are organisations like ugra (besides Fogra) who certify print/prepress houses for PSO compliance. The procedure is to hire ugra certified consultants, they help organisations setup the workflow, data handling, standard lighting, monitor calibration and validation, digital proofing along with printing towards common aim values of ISO 12647-2.

Ugra certification is tough and aimed at training the organisation (workforce) to handle situations on a daily basis but is really helpful as everyone within the organisation understands what needs to be done when and why it's done....

If you need further information get in touch, will be glad to help :)

Regards

ISO certificate

ISO certificate

AjR

If you need any information about the color management or the ISO 12647-2 certification, you can ask Peter Bencs, he is a great power user in the Keskeny Printing house in Hungary.
Keskeny és Társai Nyomdaipari Kft.
This was the first printing house in Hungary which has got this certificate.

Greetings

ISO 9001 certification is suited to organisations who wish to improve their management processes and demonstrate that their quality credentials are independently verified. This usually leads to improved client retention and helps them win new business, particularly when bidding for public sector work where ISO 9001 is usually expected.

Thanks!!!

For more information visit:ISO 9001

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back