Java 6 or Java 7?

mk_stu

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I recently could not use smart review on InSite to view my uploaded files as it did not recognise Java 7. So, I managed to find an archive copy of Java 6 and install it. Then, having reviewed and rejected some files, I went to upload new files. It then stated that it could not find Java on my machine.... Any ideas?

I just fought this issue on a 2 different versions of OSX. My laptop runs 10.6.8 and our prepress department computers run 10.7.5

On my laptop I fixed the problem via the version of (Apple) Java that is offered via software update.

To fix the problem on the 10.7.5 computers, with help from Kodak Response center, I had to download a version from the Oracle website - Java Archive Downloads - Java SE 7

Before I installed Java, I had to uninstall the "bad" version 7 of Java I had installed as a prompt when having Java problems. This URL explains how to do that:

How do I uninstall Java 7 for my Mac?

This is a review of my experience:

1. Needed to create a Oracle account before I could down load it
2. When I loaded it I was shown a warning box that this was not the latest version and did I want to download the latest version - been there, done that.
3. My first upload attempt in Insite also presented a warning box about security.
4. Upload window loads sequentially with what seems like, at least in computer time, a long lag between Notes area showing (first) and then Upload area showing.
5. Upload worked as expected.
6. Smart Review also worked properly.

Hope this helps.

-Bill-

Vendor comment:

When you are looking to upgrade, consider a java-free system from Viki Solutions. The Vera product line integrates with prepress workflow systems (i.e. Prinergy), can be hosted locally or in the cloud, is fully scalable and reliable at an enterprise level and is also color accurate. Viki Solutions offers easy migration from Kodak RTP, SRS, or InSite to Vera. If you upgrade then your users will not have Java issues and your system will be much, much faster. We include all updates, upgrades, and support in our subscription pricing.

Cheers,

Chris -Viki Solutions

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back