Javascript for Illustrator Save to PDF

Nokturnal1

Hi all,

This is my first post on here. Im looking to see if anyone knows how to edit the Javascript for Illustrator CS4? Adobe already has a script in Illustrator called 'SaveDocsAsPDF.jsx'. I want to be able to tweak this script so I can edit the PDF Save Options to do things like add trim marks and bleed, since this script clips the bleed at the trim box. When I open the script, it gives some info like:

// See PDFSaveOptions in the JavaScript Reference for available options

// Set the options you want below:

// For example, uncomment to set the compatibility of the generated pdf to Acrobat 7 (PDF 1.6)
// options.compatibility = PDFCompatibility.ACROBAT7;

But they fail to mention where this is 'JavaScript Reference' is so I have no idea where to find the script options. Anyone out there have any idea? I am not a code person, but I do have the awareness of how to edit them.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks alot Shawn. This is EXACTLY what I needed. I was able to enter our own PDF Preset into the script and it worked. Thanks so much.

How did you do it?

How did you do it?

Thanks alot Shawn. This is EXACTLY what I needed. I was able to enter our own PDF Preset into the script and it worked. Thanks so much.

Where and how did you enter your PDF Preset into the script? Sorry for this question but I'm new to scripting and it's not working for me, still learning.

Hope you can help.

Where and how did you enter your PDF Preset into the script? Sorry for this question but I'm new to scripting and it's not working for me, still learning.

Hope you can help.

Hi Dutch

Open the script in a text editor and make sure that the joboptions in line 124 of the script EXACTLY matches the PDF joboption setting from Illustrator that you want to use.

look for these lines

// for a description of these properties.
// Add more properties here if you like
pdfSaveOpts.pDFPreset = '[PDF/X-4:2008]';

The script is set to use the [PDF/X-4:2008]' standard from Adobe (the default Adobe joboption names includes the brackets -- yours may not).

Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back