Job tracking software...

kdw75

Can anyone recommend job tracking software? We are a small shop, with only 8 people, so we aren't looking for some package costing a ton.

So, you are basically looking for a manually driven software version of a traditional analogue T-Card, cork-board or magnetic whiteboard system?

Stephen Marsh

It would be helpful to know what your wanting to track? If you could supply more info we could do a better job in pointing you in the right direction.

When orders are placed, our office people can enter the info, then it will show up on the computers around the shop. When the pressman, finishes he can update the status, for the next person. We have been getting by for years with a manual list, printed daily, and given to each person, but our number of jobs, and quick turn around times is making this useless.

We of course have our physical job tickets, but if one gets misplaced, it may get overlooked for some time.

How are the existing job tickets being produced? Data entry into an existing system or manually handwritten? Do you have an existing print management/MIS system or even a quote system? Some of these come standard with tracking boards or lists or they could perhaps be an add-on (for example, the Accura MIS that I support has job tracking by department as a standard feature). The benefit of having the tracking integrated with existing software is that there is no double handling of data, copy/paste or manual entry from one system to another.

There are a number of fans of Trello on these forums that use the system for tracking/visibility.

Stephen Marsh

We are a medium size shop but not large enough for a full MIS system. We have put together a number of forms using Google Docs (free) which can be shared with any user you would like. I have the press schedule set up as a table listing the weeks and presses. Each job is entered and then color coded for it's status. Codes are entered for Files here, proof out, job approved, job plated, finished printing, materials not here i.e. ink or stock and waiting for files. It works great for everyone to stay informed. We also use the spreadsheet function for inventory and again is shared with any user you want. We also scan each paper docket and attach a link to the press schedule so the pressman can see the docket copy days or weeks ahead of the printing for planning purposes.

I also enter each docket with shipping information on Google Calendar. It's extremely easy to keep updated and is used exclusively by Bindery and Shipping Departments.

I am happy to share more information if interested.

How are the existing job tickets being produced? Data entry into an existing system or manually handwritten? Do you have an existing print management/MIS system or even a quote system? Some of these come standard with tracking boards or lists or they could perhaps be an add-on (for example, the Accura MIS that I support has job tracking by department as a standard feature). The benefit of having the tracking integrated with existing software is that there is no double handling of data, copy/paste or manual entry from one system to another.

There are a number of fans of Trello on these forums that use the system for tracking/visibility.

Stephen Marsh

We currently enter our information into an MS-DOS based database program, PFS Professional File, and that is what we use to print out tickets, handle billing, and do tracking. Having to keep an old machine around, that runs DOS, is a pain, and having something that is updated in real time, by each user, would be fantastic. We are in the process of picking up a couple accounts that are going to double or triple, our current workflow, and I am worried about our current system keeping up.

We currently enter our information into an MS-DOS based database program, PFS Professional File, and that is what we use to print out tickets, handle billing, and do tracking. Having to keep an old machine around, that runs DOS, is a pain, and having something that is updated in real time, by each user, would be fantastic. We are in the process of picking up a couple accounts that are going to double or triple, our current workflow, and I am worried about our current system keeping up.

So, are you going to keep keying in data in the old system to produce job tickets and billing, then double enter the data a second time into a separate system used for job tracking/visibility such as Trello or one of the many other web/desktop based project management services/systems?

Stephen Marsh

So, are you going to keep keying in data in the old system to produce job tickets and billing, then double enter the data a second time into a separate system used for job tracking/visibility such as Trello or one of the many other web/desktop based project management services/systems?

Stephen Marsh

We were hoping to find something that would replace our old system completely, so that we could use it for job tracking, and tickets.

We were hoping to find something that would replace our old system completely, so that we could use it for job tracking, and tickets.

Just a note from your opening post, even “small shops with 8 staff” (or less) can and have benefitted from having a full blown MIS system, cost is relative to return on investment and with finance cash flow does not have to be hit for a capital purchase.

That being said, if you are after something inexpensive that can produce job tickets and has tracking features, then perhaps look into Morningflight.

Stephen Marsh

I say this every time that this comes up. Take a serious look into Filemaker. You can get a cost-efficient solution from a developer or you can develop one on your own given you have the resources and time. Get a quote from a developer to make it do what you want you'll likely be very surprised.

We bought filemaker, but we haven't found someone to train us on it. Can you recommend a pre-configured package using Filemaker?

I am an aspiring/neophyte FileMaker developer myself. I've met other developers at usergroups / meetups and have seen some nice solutions as well. From my observation most of these solutions are built on a few frameworks that they re-use over and over again with customization on a per client basis. There are over 300 FM developers in the US alone so there is likely somebody out there with the solution you need at the price point you require.

Through my research and evaluation of various solutions I could get my hands upon dBaze is the best "off the shelf" solution that I've seen. I have no idea what they charge and they are based out of Switzerland. Richard Carlton Consulting has the free Starting Point solution and can develop for you as well. I've definately taken FM starting point apart over and over again as a learning resource. The system is impressively organized and I would have faith in Carlton providing excellent solutions.

I suggest using the search at FileMaker Consultants, Data Consultants, Database Consultants. Solicit consultations/quotations towards what functions you require. Make them show you solutions they have already developed. If I were on the buying side I would want a total solution cost with support for X period and not a per hour customization/development cost.

I hit reply too quickly! Learning resources that I've found beneficial:
http://www.lynda.com - amazing videos
http://www.fmstartingpoint.com - filemaker starting point a free robust solution that you can develop upon or learn from
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033271.do - filemaker 'the missing manual'
http://www.filemaker.com/support/training/ - filemaker training

Last edited:
I say this every time that this comes up. Take a serious look into Filemaker. You can get a cost-efficient solution from a developer or you can develop one on your own given you have the resources and time. Get a quote from a developer to make it do what you want you'll likely be very surprised.

This can be a huge decision to make.

My current employers internal business systems are Mac based, so software choices are perhaps more limited than for Windows.

We were running a FileMaker CRM solution that was in-house developed. For many reasons, we moved to “out of the box” or “off the shelf” commercial software.

Do not underestimate the dollars and time spent with custom development if doing this in-house. Some people spend x10-1000 the money or a black hole for time with in-house or outsourced custom development when compared off the shelf software. If outsourcing, make sure you understand exactly what you are paying for and that you may or may not be locked in to using that developer.

There are of course pros/cons for each approach.

To Build or To Buy: Comparing Custom and Off-The-Shelf Software Applications | 3C Software
Buy vs. Build Software Applications: The Eternal Dilemma

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
This can be a huge decision to make.

You are absolutely correct. I have worked with both custom made and "out of the box" solutions. Each can have serious caveats. In my experience if properly managed (in both dollars and configuration) a custom solution can provide serious advantages. In my experience attempting to heavily customize a large "out of the box" solution is the worst scenario.

Some of the top-level considerations:
  • Will this system be actively managed and if so, who will manage it?
  • What is the maximum amount of capital expendable for this solution and what can that provide?
  • What are the expected support costs for 1, 2, 5, 10 years? Will you need to dedicate an employee to this? When will you project needing a system replacement (even if that means new server hardware)?
  • What is a minimally viable product? What are my wishes? What can wait or be added on later? (This applies both to a custom solution or an out of the box solution as there will almost certainly be many modules.)
  • What is the partner/developers commitment to supporting the project? You'd be surprised that even massive company will dump a program and leave you hanging with only minimal support when they decide to move on. A custom developer may decide to get out or move to only developing for a different platform SAP, Filemaker, Oracle, etc.

There is a huge potential for "analysis paralysis" in these endeavors. As a project manager I always keep my eye on these core inquires:
  • What is the problem to be solved?
  • How much does the problem cost?
  • How much does the solution cost?
  • What is the minimally viable product?
  • Does the marketplace offer a viable solution?
  • If not, can another viable solution be developed?

Last edited:
I'm surprised Michael hasn't jumped on this, but there is a product named Presswise produced by Datatech with job tracking components. It isn't completely suitable for offset production (no inventory modules for plates, inks, blankets, just one for paper), but it's a web-based subscription service so there is no dedicated hardware needed or software installed, and if it isn't sufficient the service can be dropped (I'm guessing, I don't know contract details). The important part is making sure everyone is comfortable finding jobs in lists on monitors, since it's reports aren't really designed for projects in production. If the Production Manager is inclined to have information on a sheet of paper, or in a grid-based format, it won't be effectively utilized. It would at least be worth a short-term trial.

For the record, I'm not affiliated with Datatech, and I think a different system would have been better suited for the shop that I'm at, but that has more to do with personnel than technology.

Probably because the OP said that they were not looking to spend much money. :]

Stephen Marsh

Again, I don't know contract details, but it has to be the easiest system to give a short term trial of. No hardware or softwear to buy, if it doesn't click dump it and move on to something else.

I like the saying "Buy if you can, build if you must". Referring to buy off the shelf software and if you can't then build.

Majority of the time, there is off the shelf software which has the features to meet your business needs. Sometimes the feature isn't exactly how your shop may work, but slightly modifying your workflow process can make it work. The software released no a days is designed to work with majority of the needs of a company with the specific industry. They do this to get the most bang for their buck. You pay them a yearly support contract along with all of the other users of the software. This combined total of money has more power to get features added than you doing custom development at your own company. Dollar for dollar, you will get more out of off the shelf software than custom developed, if the software has majority of the features you require.

I worked for a company where the VP of finance wrote the accounting software we used (before I worked there). We ended up in getting off the shelf software to replace his years later. There were some features we lost, but we gained a lot more. Not to mention getting additional features and updates over the years.

Don't get me wrong, custom software does have it's place. You need to first analyze off the shelf software before delving into custom software. The current company I work for has developed software over the years. One of the things we have learned from custom development is to have a project manager over your developers. Without a project manager, your software loses focus of the goal, you get feature creep,and your software could be unrefined. You could also have features added without looking at the big picture, which make future features harder to implement. Having a QA process is something often over looked when smaller companies are doing custom development. They want it now without bugs but don't want the burden of a QA process.

At the end of the day, if you find a bought software with majority of the features you are looking for in the released product. Go for it! Make sure you don't buy an off the shelf software based on features due to come out in the next release or currently in Beta. There have been known instances where a feature doesn't make it to production release, which leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.

We tried off the shelf packages and ended up developing our own using access . . . its nice being able to change this feature and add new ones as the need arises but you have to have someone on your staff that can write the code . . . if you don't have someone capable of that I would look for a package.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back