Km 5501 is it worth it??

clifish

Hello all,

Local KM Dealer is pushing a new 5501 w/creo, df-609 doc feeder, LU-202 TRAY, FS-607 BOOKLET MKR, HOLE PUNCH, PI-502 COVER INSERTER TO NAME A FEW.

I know this model is being discontinued, clicks are usual .049 ea and 5 year payment is $610.00

Is this worth it? I am a smaller printer that will probably only 10K month in clicks. How will registration be side to side and sheet to sheet w/o a pf feed unit? and what can i expect from the booklet maker?
thx

Its a pretty capable machine and the LU-202 is almost as good as the PFU (not much in it)

I dont know how your price relates (from australia) but if its a good price its a capable machine.

It's a great machine, I have one. We have out board finishing equipment so I got the most minimal configuration available. I only use the bundled Fiery RIP and Imposition and get on fine.

I think the problem with built in finishing equipment can be that you waste clicks on booklets as you wont be able to layup an A5 booklet with 2 spreads per side so you'd use twice the clicks you would if efficiently filling an SRA3 sheet.

Maximum sheet size is 330x487mm, this can be quite useful at times.

From what I have read the 5501 has been kept as part of the current available line up of Konicas so there is going to be plenty of shelf life left in it as far as service and parts goes.

if possible, get the C6000, should be able to bargain for a deal of about the monthly cost within 10-15%

Fiery

Fiery

You mention 10K clicks per month. How much is color? How many booklets are you doing and are they color?

Do you really need the booklet maker and the hole punch? Look over past months sales to see if you really need the extras. Why do you need a post-insert feeder?

If you are concerned about $610 being a lot how about a Fiery RIP. Should knock the price down $80/month.

How much variable data printing are you going to do?

If you plan on a lot of booklets it may pay, but if you can do the booklets offline stripping down the machine the price may be closer to $450 a month.:)

We have a 6501, but my general message here would be that the more inline features you have, the better off you will be.

Any time you don't have to handle it a second time is to your advantage.

In my opinion.

Why are you looking at a 5501 if you already have a 6501?

If you already have the full bookletmaker on the 6501 would you need another?

Helpful feed back. We have a KM C500 and it wont handel everything we need it too, but it looks as if this might be a good one for us to upgrade too. (He said typing so that he can be given automatic emails to keep up to date with the latest comments....lol)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back