KM lease issue

xit791

Just signed a lease with KMBS for a 6501 - very nice machine. Also signed a single-sided maintenance agreement.

The rep says he gave me the wrong one to sign and asked me to sign another maintenance agreement that included a back side with a bunch of terms and conditions, some of which I crossed when I gave it back.

Like KM a lot till then. Now I am wondering.

Has anyone had any experience cancelling a lease?

I've been told dozens of times that the lease doesn't go into effect until the machine's in the door.

Thanks,

1. Most leases start at time of delivery/installation. Some leases even require you to sign an "Delivery & Acceptance" document. You should have a clause about this.

2. Leases can't be canceled; unless you pay the remaining balance.

3. Whatever hand written modifications you make to the lease, are not valid.

I wouldn't overreact. Contact the salesperson and ask for a meeting with him/her and their manager. Explain your concern and see how they respond.

Just signed a lease with KMBS for a 6501 - very nice machine. Also signed a single-sided maintenance agreement.

The rep says he gave me the wrong one to sign and asked me to sign another maintenance agreement that included a back side with a bunch of terms and conditions, some of which I crossed when I gave it back.

Like KM a lot till then. Now I am wondering.

Has anyone had any experience cancelling a lease?

I've been told dozens of times that the lease doesn't go into effect until the machine's in the door.

Thanks,

If you haven't taken delivery or signed the Delivery & Acceptance document and given phone verification to the leasing company you have tremendous power and can tell K-M to go bleep themselves.

I can help. I've been in the industry for 13-ish years now.

A) The service contract you signed was supposed to have those terms. KM knowing you didn't agree to them (since you couldn't have seen them) required the rep to get a new doc signed or to have you sign a T&C page. That being the case the "contract" would have not been booked/ billed/ entered by KM. There admin are usually very strick on things like that.

B) If you disagree, you can contact the BGM (branch manager) BTM (Branch Technical Manager- Service manager to you and me) or the Sales Manager and ask to negotiate terms. While doing this, do not let there be a transfer of money and do not accept physical delivery of the machine.

C) There terms are pretty standard and they are unlikely to budge on them. Make sure if they do you have some sort of recourse if there not followed because there internal system has not way to indicate that your on a "special" contract so even if you have one, that doesn't mean it will match your experiance.

D) As Bob and Craig said. The lease does not begin untill you have taken physical delivery of the equipment, signed a "delivery reciept" also signed a "delivery and acceptance" and in some cases had a phone verification from the lease company. Even after all of that, if you have not paid them any money, aka no exchange of currency or funds, then usually the lease company will not fund the vendor and therefore your lease will not be valid either making it easy to force them to return it.

You are well protected and have them leveraged. Use it to your advantage.

Everything SweatyClimber said!!

You are in the drivers seat on this one. If you get in a jam I know some higher level folks in KMBS if they haven't all left or got canned yet.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. I have talked to the office general manager, his boss, and to the service manager. They are allowing me to write in some information on the front of the agreement that negates the information I object to on the back of the contract.

What it mainly has to do with is allowing KM to start charging 11x17 as two clicks if they think I am using too much toner. I don't want to open the door for them to be able to do it as I know this has happened to other printers. .. though not printers under contract with Konica-Minolta direct but printers under contract with KM dealers.

you can make all the changes you want in the terms & conditions; until you don't get their signatures too on the same page next to your comments accepting them, it's not valid.

or you could also ask for an addendum. but you need something signed from them understanding the changes.

Yes that will CYA for sure. Since your actual service experiance is not what your concerned with, that should cover you just fine. Also include the statement "for the life of the equipment" because your signing a 1 year agreement and you want that valid the whole useful life.

I think (hope) I have this cleared up. The branch manager, the tech manager, the sales manager, and myself are all signing an addendum and it's for the entire 5-year term of the maintenance agreement.

Way to go. I wish you a great experiance. I doubt you'll need "hope" I'm sure they'll take care of it for you from here on out.

I think (hope) I have this cleared up. The branch manager, the tech manager, the sales manager, and myself are all signing an addendum and it's for the entire 5-year term of the maintenance agreement.

that's impressive. I've never seen a commitment like that. I guess they really need your business.

Went with the agreement plus the addendum guaranteeing the one-click charge etc. Now both agreements state that they supercede the other. That would be interesting if anything ever became of it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back