Kodak Matchprint Proofer Stalling

kdburns

We use the Kodak Prinergy Workflow with an Epson 9800 for matchprints. When we RIP proofs in Prinergy the files then move to a PC set up near the Epson and the magic happens. For some reason we keep running out of disk space on the PC running the matchprint software. Usually there is a long list in the Controller View but now it seems we can't have more than 2-3 items listed without it erring out with "disk full". We've had this system in place since 2008 and have never ran in to an issue.

Basically at this point, as soon as we complete a proof we have to clear everything in the Controller View. Anyone else had this issue? Seems like there are invisible files or make the disk fragmented? :confused:

Thank you in advance for any advise.

Your KPS RIP should most likely have 1, 2 or 3 drives/partitions. How much is each drive and how much free space is on each drive? You can do a right click/properties on each drive and perform a “disk cleanup”. You could also try doing a search for .tmp files to see if there is a lot of garbage on your system.

Software such as WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics can be useful for visually finding where certain data is collecting on your drive.

In the KPS software Proofer Finder window, go to the controller menu and then the administrator option. You will need to know the password to login (make sure that the RIP controller name is highlighted). Once you are in the admin section, the controller icon should be highlighted. Go to the “backup” tab and then in the lower section you will find a “Reset Level” section. Try performing a Level 1 reset to flush out the queues (NOT a level 2, 3 or 4 reset!). Performing a level 1 reset will often fix issues with proofs becoming stuck, however performing the previous checks/fixes for hard drive space will also be of help too.

As you mention, it could also be time to defrag the drive if you have been using this box for 6 years or so!

Good luck and let the forum know how you go.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen. The C drive is a 5GB drive with 2.98 available. The D drive is a 65gb drive with 20.8 available. Even with all the jobs in the que deleted we can only get about 22GB of available space. Something is clogging the drive.

I tried the disk cleanup and did not gain any additional space. I will download the WinDirStat next. Unfortunately our prepress tech that was with us for about 18 years left in 2013 and I can locate the Admin password to access the Level 1 Reset area. Hopefully I can get that today. I see there is an Administer by Name log in too that asks for an IP address? Does that access the same area?

Got the password and ran the reset level 1. The machine definitely clunked and churned but we only got 4GB more. The WinDirStat is running now but it's pretty slow.

Last edited:
I don’t know if this is truly about free space or not. Have you tried running more proofs after the level 1 reset to see if it now behaves? The level 1 reset can help even when there is a heap of space, it purges stubborn data and can help with files not printing at all etc. It is the safest thing to try and easy to do as a first step.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back