Kodak Matchprint proofing paper

Sev

We have the Kodak Matchprint Inkjet Proofing System, which uses Kodak semi-matte proofing paper, Kodak part number SM240P. Since we can no longer use Xpedx as our Kodak dealer, we had to switch to a different supplier. That supplier is telling us that Kodak no longer makes or sells it's Matchprint proofing paper. I find this difficult to believe, since this proofing system is widely used around the world. Has anyone heard of this paper no longer being made or sold? Perhaps we need a different dealer for Kodak products.
Thanks for any information on this issue.

-Sev

Try Nth Degree Imaging Ltd, we moved over to them from Kodak when they stopped epson supplies and paper.

It is true, Kodak no longer directly manufacture or distribute the Matchprint Proofing or the "Yellow Box" Wide Format media (this may even come as a surprise to some Kodak employees!). Over the years Kodak were in the process of phasing out and rationalising their large and often redundant Matchprint media catalogue, however I believe that even this had to cease as part of the Chapter 11 restructuring (proofing media is a competitive and costly game to be in).

Around two years ago? Kodak sold off the license to their "Yellow Box" Wide Format media favoured by Photographers and display graphics, such as Premium Rapid Dry Photo Satin 260gsm etc. The new media is slightly different, different watermark on reverse, different "lusture" pattern and slightly different white point etc. I am not sure who the new manufacturer is for the Wide Format media.

Around a 6 months to a year ago?, Kodak also sold off the license to the Matchprint Inkjet media range. Kodak Matchprint Inkjet media is now sold by Ilford. I believe that it is now manufactured in Switzerland rather than the USA. I have not compared the "new" matchprint media to the "old". I would hope that the Matchprint media is manufactured with tighter tolerances that the "yellow box" media.

Due to the adjusted costs of importing this "new" product, your local Kodak Matchprint Inkjet Proofing Media dealer may or may not decide to continue selling this media under the new arrangement. Dealer's may elect to create their own custom Kodak Proofing Software media configurations, profiles, devicelink profiles and colour bars to support other replacement media that they go to market with if they elect to no longer sell Matchprint Inkjet media.

URL-www.kodakmatchprintmedia.com/en-kodak/proofing/

P.S. We still hold stock of discontinued Kodak Matchprint media such as SM235P, SM210P. We also hold USA manufactured SM190P and SM240P T1 & T3 media.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Thanks, Stephen, for the response to my question. Our Kodak rep did contact me, and pretty much gave me the same information that you posted. Our rep is going to help us obtain the proofing paper from Ilford.

-Sev

Thanks, Stephen, for the response to my question. Our Kodak rep did contact me, and pretty much gave me the same information that you posted. Our rep is going to help us obtain the proofing paper from Ilford.

-Sev

I would have loved to continue with the Matchprint media, however the new prices are too high and the new cost of import killed any profit in this product. The Proofing media market is competitive and price sensitive.

Stephen Marsh

For a replacement to Kodak's Matchprint Proofing media there is also ORIS PearlPROOF Super media. This is a drop in media to the Kodak SM240P. The ORIS PearlPROOF Super media is also 240gsm so the look and feel will be consistent with what you're used to.

As a bonus, ORIS is less expensive than Ilford so may be worth looking into how the two compare.

For a replacement to Kodak's Matchprint Proofing media there is also ORIS PearlPROOF Super media. This is a drop in media to the Kodak SM240P. The ORIS PearlPROOF Super media is also 240gsm so the look and feel will be consistent with what you're used to.

As a bonus, ORIS is less expensive than Ilford so may be worth looking into how the two compare.

hluetkens, when you say a "drop in media" - is the context of your statement in regards to "visual proofing" or "certified proofing" where a colour bar is measured and compared to a specification such as F39 or GRACoL C1 and a pass or fail and dE values are printed?

Both the Kodak Matchprint 240gsm and CGS ORIS 240gsm proofing medias are great products, very consistent and superb quality.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Stephen,
As a drop in media we were able to certified the proofs to F39 or GRACoL with passing grades. To improve those results we did run through a calibration to be safe. I would agree as well that both medias are great products.

Stephen,
As a drop in media we were able to certified the proofs to F39 or GRACoL with passing grades. To improve those results we did run through a calibration to be safe. I would agree as well that both medias are great products.

Thanks for the clarification!

Kodak Proofing Software requires Certified Process for Colour Confirmation (CPCC) to have a calibration no older than 7 days, which should account for any minor differences in media and ink on media when using the correct media with the correct media configuration and other assets.

That being said, I have not tried this approach (simply using the CGS ORIS 240 media - and not using the correct Kodak Matchprint 240 media configuration and ICC device and Simulation DeviceLink profiles and Colour Bar). I would not have thought that the results of the two different medias would be close enough for a Fogra 39 or GACoL C1 pass!

I did create my own custom KPS Media Configuration and other assets for the ORIS 240 media. Comparing 3D gamut plots of the Kodak 240 and ORIS 240 medias with a Epson 9900, the two were "almost exactly" the same shape and size.

Stephen Marsh

Does anyone have experience with OUTRE ph255SGRA proofing paper? Our dealer is trying to get us to give that paper a try, since the Kodak (Ilford) paper seems difficult to obtain.

-Sev

Does anyone have experience with OUTRE ph255SGRA proofing paper? Our dealer is trying to get us to give that paper a try, since the Kodak (Ilford) paper seems difficult to obtain.

-Sev

We use the 200 weight. It works fine.

17” Rolls of Kodak SM240P T1 Inkjet Proofing Media - Runout Price

17” Rolls of Kodak SM240P T1 Inkjet Proofing Media - Runout Price

UPDATE:

17” Rolls of Kodak SM240P T1 Inkjet Proofing Media - Runout Price, can be used for high end proofing or cheap point of sale posters at this price! We are based in Australia and will ship anywhere in Australia, minimum 10 rolls per order. Send me a message if you are interested!

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back