Kodak Trap Editor not working

yespress

Whenever I try to open Trap Editor or Trap Viewer in Acrobat 8, I get the following message: An error occurred while trying to render the current page in Kodak Trap Editor. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi,

This problem is caused by the removal of support for External Streams in Acrobat 8.1.7. Your options are...
- Upgrade to Acrobat 9 (Recommended)
- Re-install Acrobat 8 and just do the updates to version 8.1.6
- Wait for Prinergy 5.1.2.1

Regards,
Rob Morgan
Kodak

Thanks for the quick response. I actually have the upgrade for Acrobat 9 but have been reluctant to upgrade. The thing I'm concerned about is if all of the other Kodak Tools are compatible. Do you know if they will work in 9? I am currently using Prinergy Version: 4.1.2.2.57

Yes. As long as you have Prinergy 4.1.2.1 or higher, you should be fine. You will have to do a Clean Install of Workshop once you have installed Acrobat 9 to get the plug-ins installed or else you will have to manually copy the plug-ins from your Acrobat 8 folder into the Acrobat 9 plug-ins folder.

I recommend going to e-Central and getting all of the other 4.1 updates installed as well. There have been several updates since the version that you have.

Cheers,
Rob

I have the updates, but am reluctant to install them. I remember updating Prinergy 2 and it was a bit complicated. Has the updating process been simplified in Prinergy 4? Also, what do I need to be careful of when I install these updates?

There's a new Update Utility so that you don't have to muck around on the command line anymore so it should be quite painless. You just need to schedule a bit of downtime (how much depends on how many servers and clients you have). There are Release Notes posted on e-Central that list any things you might need to be careful of like minimum system requirements, etc.

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks for the quick response. I actually have the upgrade for Acrobat 9 but have been reluctant to upgrade. The thing I'm concerned about is if all of the other Kodak Tools are compatible. Do you know if they will work in 9? I am currently using Prinergy Version: 4.1.2.2.57

I am running EVO 4.1.6.3 and Acrobat 9 files edited with the Kodak Toolkit plugins cannot be added to a run list in Preps 5.2.

Reverting to Acrobat 8 from 9 is difficult and time consuming.

This is an EVO experience and the version numbers are different but back grading Acrobat is not something fun to do.

Last edited:
OK, now I installed Acrobat 9, and Trap Editor was working. Now it's not working again. I get the following message (see attached)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 192
Did you do what the message tells you to do?
The Documents folder the message refers to is the current user's documents folder that is inside the home folder (folder has a house icon)

If you have deleted a user account or logged on under a new user account then that will make this message pop up again because the folder where the separations get written is no longer available. Just re-point it to the Documents folder and it should be fine.

Cheers,
Rob

Trying to update my Kodak Trap Tools to Acrobat 9 from Acrobat 8 but i cannot find my acrobat plug in folder on mac os 10.65 Is there any other way to load the trap tools to Acrobat 9?

Acrobat plug-ins on the mac are found inside the application package. Right click the Acrobat icon and select Show package contents and then go to Contents-->Plug-ins-->Prinergy plugins.

Note that you must have Prinergy 4.1.2.1 or higher or else the Acrobat 8 plug-ins cannot be used in Acrobat 9.

Cheers,
Rob

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back