Komori Press water system

Kim Baer

We have to take lots of time on long runs washing the Blanket and back cylinders. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the wash ups less frequent?
This is what my Pressman says.

In my experience between Komori sheetfed and Heidelberg. The water system on the Heidelberg is much better then Komori. You have to do back cylinder more frequent because when it builds up its starts spitting into the work of the sheet. On long runs I have to do back cylinders every 8000 sheets for a long run. Also running a Komori to a Heidelberg meter rollers are cleaned more. The water system and ink train has copper rollers with rubber rollers which doesn't help and the water system on a Komori is build differently with 2 chrome rollers. A lot of my stopping and going is because of the water on longer runs. I've been on komori's for 20 plus years and that is a Komori pressman biggest gripe compared to a Heidelberg. Also another things Komori is known for is ghosting which comes down to water system. Heidelberg doesn't ghost as easy.

Thank you,

Running Komori's for many years both conventional and UV inks and have not had the issues you are describing. Sounds like your pressman really wants to have a Heidelberg press.

Have you tried different fountain solutions and is your raw water treated.

What about blankets, have you experimented with other types? Are you packing the blankets correctly for printing squeeze.

Have you changed ink supplier lately and I am assuming you have a Heidelberg press next to your Komori that is running the same ink and Font as the Komori and the Heidy is not having the same issues.

Do you have a regular roller maintenance schedule.

Do you have a regular Dampening system schedule and do you monitor your fountain solution.

Are you regularly de-sensitizing your chrome rollers.

Copper rollers are good for handling the heat build up in the roller train but if neglected they can tend to strip, these need a treatment with a chemical sometimes and if really bad will require re-copperizing.

Are your pressman checking and resetting the inking rollers.

Sometimes it requires a change of mindset when you have to run a different make of press.
Good luck

I despair - yet again !

Hello Kim Baer,

You need to employ a Lithographic Printer that understands the fundamentals of Lithography

and not employ "Incompetents"

Regards, Alois

Running Komori's for many years both conventional and UV inks and have not had the issues you are describing. Sounds like your pressman really wants to have a Heidelberg press.

[SNIP]

Sometimes it requires a change of mindset when you have to run a different make of press.
Good luck

This I love!

Nothing wrong with Komori presses, you need to look into your chemistry and press settings.

Kim,
What make , model and year is your Komori?
PS. Alois.... Your are so far out of touch with real printing nobody should wast their time listening to you.

Al Ferrari.

Hello junker,

I've noticed my old "sparring partner" as been absent for sometime, I hope everything is OK

Regards, Alois

Yes, I've kinda missed "rolling my eyes" over some of his knee jerk, and sometimes misguided comments. Though most of his comments seemed well thought out in a book smart manner, as alibryan points out...its not always PDFs and technical manuals that contain the answers. Best to you, Alois. And...give the incompetents a break. We've all had our moments :).

great discussion but as alluded to its not a Komori V Heidelberg or Roland or KBA or Ryobi. its called Lithography and ink / water balance. the journey needs to begin with compatibility and suitability of product and press condition

Years ago I ran a Miehle single colour letterset press with bareback dampeners. I could just about throw ink, water, and paper at it and it would print...consistently. Many years later I learned to run an ABDick 9995A. That press was an absolute hair puller. Rather than cry about how easy the old Miehle was to run, I had to adapt to get high quality production out of the ABDick. It took a major mindset change, as someone mentioned earlier. Manual reading, roller setting, ink and solution testing, and several phone calls to experienced ABDick guys to sort that thing out. Did learning how to run it suck? Of course. That's the nature of our fine industry. Deep down we all like to have some sort of mental/emotional pain put upon us or we wouldn't be printers. I think it's some kind of baptism by fire desire that causes us to feel alive...lol. I realize this is an old thread, however I agree with these other guys. You've got an incompatibility issue with ink and water and most likely multiple roller issues. I suspect your operator is not a strong mechanical pressman.

some guys will bitch about any press that requires anything more than hanging the plates and running. Some guys when given lemons will make lemonade. I say send the button pusher home and hire a real pressman. Be prepared to dig into your pocket a bit though.

The komori dampner's metering roller is a meter and a feeder. Try a rougher grind not orange peel. makes them work perfectly. I have done this with komori's for 25 years.

Hi. Would you have a manual with roller diagram for Komori L-225. A newbie on this site and couldn't figure out how to make a new topic. Appreciate your assistance on this matter.

what bothers me most on our komori water system is as the rollers shrink the drive gears bolted on the end the rollers bottom out and we can't get a recomended setting anymore. komori said during training to change the metering and water form every 6 months which seemed a lot compared to the heidelbergs I've ran. We are lucky to get about 4 months before the water rollers give us problems

. We are lucky to get about 4 months before the water rollers give us problems

Sounds like it's time to bring your roller supplier in and discuss this issue with him if you haven't already. There are some really good roller companies around and many different types of rubber and polymer materials available so they need to find something that gives you longer life. You also have to make sure your house is in order by not using too harsh chemicals like MRC too frequently and having good roller handling procedures in place.
Good luck

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back